[Tshwanelex-l] Examples in Arabic

Malcolm MacLeod malcolm.macleod at tshwanedje.com
Fri Sep 23 08:48:50 EDT 2011

Hello Katherine,
> I've just started playing with 5.1 on OSX 10.7.1 and the dictionary is Arabic-English.
>
> When entering an Example in for a lemma in Arabic, the field appears to expect English/Latin characters (and boxes appear in Preview area if Arabic is used) while the Translation field handles Arabic with no problems. Shouldn't it be the reverse? Can I fix this?
This just happens to be a coincidence (that it works in the one field
and not the other) - the default TLex styles are set so that most fields
use Arial by default while the example field uses Times New Roman -
neither have very good coverage of the Arabic character range (you will
see squares from both every time you use a character that they do not
cover)  but Times New Roman has worse coverage of Arabic than Arial does
so you will see it more often with Arial.
The solution to this is very simple, change the fonts your dictionary is
using to ones more suited to the language. All the Arabic
elements/attributes should use fonts specifically designed to cover
Arabic, you can do this inside the styles dialog (format menu).

Regards,
Malcolm MacLeod