[Tshwanelex-l] problem with arabic display

Malcolm MacLeod malcolm.macleod at tshwanedje.com
Thu Mar 29 02:36:44 EDT 2012

Hello Isabella,
> I am experiencing the following problem.
>
> I am using Tshwanelex Mac, I have a complex multilingual dictionary,
> whose entries are in Arabic (while most of the text elements, etc. are
> in Latin characters).
>
> In the input mask I always see correctly the Arabic form I write,
> while in the preview window I see it correctly only if I set
> Dictionary options to right to left (I tried changing fonts also but
> that did not work), otherwise I see the letters unconnected and in
> reverse order.
>
> The problem is that if I select right to left than all the syntax in
> the fields is inverted (places of separators among fields and also I
> would need to type filed names in the reverse…).
>
> How can I work with both Arabic and Latin (left to right) in different
> fields of the dictionary? Is it possible?
You need to mark the individual fields (attributes) as been left to
right rather than the entire dictionary. You can do this with the
following steps:
1) Go into the DTD editor
2) Selecting the element in the list on the left
3) Select the attribute in the list at the bottom
4) Tick the "right to left" checkbox (on the right)
5) Close the DTD editor

The above advice assumes that the Arabic text has its own attribute and
doesn't share an attribute with text of other languages (which is the
usual way of doing things). If you need them to be in the same attribute
then this will create difficulties, however please let me know if this
is what you are trying to do and I will see if I can advise you.

Regards,
Malcolm MacLeod