[Tshwanelex-l] Export data base to a new TshwaneLex data base

David Joffe david.joffe at tshwanedje.com
Tue May 28 08:34:32 EDT 2013

Hi Constanza,

1) Hmm, I'd say that sounds like a bug. There should be a quick and
easy fix/workaround though, in the new file, go to 'Dictionary /
Configure sorting' and click 'Re-sort entries' - this also
recalculates the automatic numbers. (Alternatively, what should also
work, is 'Tools / Database administration; Analyze; Repair').

2) I'm not sure I quite fully understand the purpose here, by
'terms' do you mean you want e.g. just the headwords (lemma signs)
themselves from one TLex database, into a new one?

If so, there are a few ways (if not, then let me know):

1. With the filter applied in the original file (OR from the
exported 'filtered' file), you can use 'Edit / Copy entry list' to
copy the headwords to the system clipboard
2. Open a text editor (e.g. Notepad) and paste the headword list,
and save the file (e.g. as HeadwordList.txt)

OR:
1. and 2. With the file applied in the original (OR from the
exported 'filtered' file), use 'File / Export / lemma signs' (with
'Use filters' ticked), and save as e.g. HeadwordList.txt

Then:

3. Close existing database
4. Do 'File / New' (then enter settings, then 'OK') to create a
blank database (OR, see 4b below if you want to retain your original
DTD i.e. fields and Styles)
5. Go to 'File / Import Wordlist or CSV'
6. Select HeadwordList.txt
7. Tick 'Always create new entries'
8. Depending on preference, untick 'Mark imported entries as
incomplete'
9. Click OK

4b: If you want to retain your original DTD i.e. fields
(elements/attributes) and Styles at this step, then there are at
least three possible methods. First, do 'File / Create a backup' (in
case something goes wrong). Then:

4b, method 1: Create a blank database by opening the ORIGINAL
database, and creating a filter that lets through nothing, i.e. go
straight to Filter (F5), tick the first condition under "Show:" i.e.
"[Tagged]" and click the "Apply" button. Then use 'File / Save a
copy / TLex file', tick 'Use filters', and save under a new name
e.g. Blank.tldict. Then close original database, and open
Blank.tldict. Then proceed from step 5.

4b, method 2: Open the ORIGINAL database, then select 'Edit / Tag
all', then select 'Lemma / Delete all tagged entries'. (For
technical reasons this can be somewhat slow if you have many
entries.) Then, NB, be very careful not to hit 'save' now (or you
will overwrite your original database with a blank one!), but 'File
/ SAVE AS' and save under a new name e.g. Blank.tldict. Then proceed
from step 5.

4b, method 3: (This is a bit more technical, I recommend rather
method 1 or 2.) Open original database, and select 'Dictionary /
Save DTD template'. Close original database. Do 'File / New', and in
the 'New' dialog, under 'Advanced / Load DTD template from file'
select your saved DTD template file.

 - David