[Wgcp-whc] WG/CP--Reminder

richard.deming at yale.edu richard.deming at yale.edu
Thu May 1 23:51:44 EDT 2008

Dear All--Just a reminder that tomorrow's session will NOT be in the Whitney
Humanites Center as usual.  Instead, we will be meeting in Room 001, William L
Harness Hall (100 Wall Street).  We will be discussing Language for a New
Century: Contemporary Poetry from the Middle East, Asia, and Beyond, a new
anthology.  Ravi Shankar, editor and one of our members,  has sent along links
to some short reviews that might be useful in framing tomorrow's discussion.

Roger Pao has already written an intelligent essay on the collection:

http://asianamericanpoetry.blogspot.com/

And it has been reviewed a few places, but most of that would not be of
interest to the group. This one perhaps has the most meat:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/18/RVNOVUMIT.DTL&ty
pe=books

Ravi will be joined by his two co-editors, whose bios I will append below.

See all tomorrow (Friday) for a terrific discussion of this important new
anthology.

Onward,
Richard Deming

Tina Chang is the author of Half-Lit Houses. Her poems have appeared in
American Poet, Indiana Review, McSweeney¹s, The Missouri Review,
Ploughshares, Quarterly West, Sonora Review, among others.  Her poems have
been anthologized in Identity Lessons, Poetry Nation, Asian American
Literature, Asian American Poetry: The Next Generation, and in Poetry 30:
Poets in Their Thirties. She has received awards from the Academy of
American Poets, the Barbara Deming Memorial Fund, the Ludwig Vogelstein
Foundation, the New York Foundation for the Arts, Poets & Writers, the Van
Lier Foundation among others. She is co-editor of Language for a New
Century: Contemporary Poetry of the Middle East, Asia and Beyond  (W.W.
Norton in 2008). She teaches at Sarah Lawrence College and Hunter College.

Nathalie Handal most recent books include, The Lives of Rain and Language
for a New Century (Norton, 2008). Her work has been translated into more
than fifteen languages and she has been featured on NPR, KPFK, PBS Radio as
well as The New York Times, The San Francisco Chronicle, Reuters, Mail &
Guardian, The Jordan Times and Il Piccolo. Handal has been involved either
as a writer, director or producer in over twenty theatrical and/or film
productions.