[Wgcp-whc] Next session: 12/4 Waldrop's Transcendental Studies

Richard Deming richard.deming at yale.edu
Fri Nov 13 13:10:05 EST 2009

Dear All,

First a quick note that Marjorie Perloff of Stanford University will
deliver the keynote address, “The Audacity of Hope: Futurist Aura and
National Difference in the Early Manifestos,” at 5 p.m. on November
13  (today) in the Beinecke Library as part of the Futurism Conference .

I will soon post the minutes from last Friday’s discussion with our
visitor, the poet Peter Gizzi.  In the meantime, I wanted to circulate
word of our next session, which will be Friday, December 4, from 3-5
in our usual room (Whitney Humanities Center, rm. 116).  The session
will be devoted to discussion about Transcendental Studies, the latest
collection of poems by Keith Waldrop and a current finalist for a
National Book Award.  Professor Waldrop will join out discussion in
January.

For this upcoming session, we will be joined by renowned French
translator and American literature scholar Olivier Brossard. Brossard
has translated Waldrop into French and he will help guide and direct
our conversation and discuss his prolonged engagement with Waldrop’s
poetry and poetics.

Here is Brossard’s bio (with a link to his faulty page)

Olivier Brossard is associate professor (American literature and
poetry) at the University of Paris Est (Marne-La-Vallée). He wrote his
PhD dissertation on “Lyricism in Frank O’Hara’s poetry” (University of
Paris 7, 2006) which he is currently rewriting in English for a book
to come out with Dalkey Archive Press. He most recently wrote articles
on the poetry of Frank O’Hara and Peter Gizzi.

In 2000, with the help of Vincent Broqua and friends, he started the
Double Change collective (an online magazine at www.doublechange.com
and a reading series in Paris www.doublechange.org). With Eric
Athenot, he edited Walt Whitman hom(m)age 2005-1855, a bilingual
anthology of British and American poets published by Joca Seria and
Turtle Point Press. With Elisabeth Hayes and Suzi Winson of the FACE
foundation, and with Vincent Broqua, he co-organized the French and
American festival POEM (2009) and co-edited POEM : Poets On (an)
Exchange Mission, a bilingual anthology (Fishdrum/Doublechange).

He’s currently working on an anthology of New York School poets with
Macgregor Card and on a French Frank O’Hara Selected Poems. Recent
translations include Keith Waldrop’s The Real Subject: Queries and
Conjectures of Jacob Delafon (forthcoming from José Corti), David
Antin’s What It Means to Be Avant-Garde (with Abigail Lang and Vincent
Broqua, Presses du Réel) and Frank O’Hara’s Lunch Poems (with Ron
Padgett).

http://imager.univ-paris12.fr/1214206125147/0/fiche___article/

++++

In the hopes of contetxtualizing Waldrop and his work, I’ve gathered
some useful links.

I pulled this extensive bio from www.poets.org

  Keith Waldrop was born in Kansas and served in the United States
military. In 1954, he met his wife, the poet and translator Rosmarie
Waldrop while stationed in Kitzingen, Germany. He studied at Aix-
Marseille and Michigan Universities, earning a Ph.D. in Comparative
Literature in 1964. His first book of poetry, A Windmill Near Calvary
(University of Michigan, 1968), was nominated for a National Book Award.

He is the author of numerous collections of poetry, most recently
Several Gravities (Siglio, 2009), a collection of collages;
Transcendental Studies (UC Press, 2009), a trilogy of collage poems;
and a translation of Charles Baudelaire's Paris Spleen (Wesleyan,
2009). His other work includes The Real Subject: Queries and
Conjectures of Jacob Delafon: With Sample Poems (Omnidawn, 2004). His
other collections of poetry include The House Seen from Nowhere
(2003), Haunt (2000), Well Well Reality (1998, with Rosmarie Waldrop),
and the trilogy The Locality Principle (1995), The Silhouette of the
Bridge, which won the Americas Award for Poetry (1997), and Semiramis,
If I Remember (2001).
He has translated several contemporary French poets, such as Anne-
Marie Albiach, Claude Royet-Journoud, Dominique Fourcade, Jean
Grosjean, and Paol Keineg. In 2006, he completed a translation of
Baudelaire's Les Fleurs du Mal (Wesleyen University Press).
According to Waldrop, collage is a major mode of composition for him.
He explains the process as: "a way to explore, not necessarily the
thing I am tearing up, but the thing I am contriving to build out of
torn pieces. To the extent that there is a purpose to what I do, its
end is the 'enjoyment of a composition'—a concern, as A. N. Whitehead
notes, common to aesthetics and logic."
About his work, the poet Michael Palmer has said, "As we would expect
from Keith Waldrop, it is suffused with a particular humanity and an
appreciation for the absurd, even the grotesque, in daily life. The
rhythmic apposition of prose and poetry brings to mind the freedom,
alertness and quality of distillation in Basho's classic travel
sketches. With his quietly precise sense of modulation and his
unerring gaze, Waldrop remains one of the vital and requisite, semi-
secret presences in American letters."
Waldrop has received an award from the Fund for Poetry, fellowships
from the National Endowment for the Arts and the Berlin Artists
Program of the DAAD. In 2000, he received a Medal from the French
government with rank of Chevalier in the Order of Arts and Letters,
for lifetime contribution to French literature.
He currently lives in Providence, Rhode Island, where he teaches at
Brown University, and has served as co-editor of Burning Deck Press,
with his wife Rosmarie Waldrop since 1968.

++

In terms of situating Waldrop’s Transcendental Studies, here is an
excerpt from a brief exchange between Craig Morgan Teichner and Waldrop:

CMT: This is an unusual book—really three books in one, which you call
a trilogy. Can you explain how you wrote them?
KW: It came about for a very specific reason. The problem was that I
had to become the director of a program at Brown—it was graduate
writing program. Back then it was part of the English department, but
required somebody to be the director and there was no assistant
director and only a part time secretary, so there was a lot of stuff
going through. It was not a difficult job, but it was endless. I kept
thinking after hours about what I should do tomorrow and what I didn’t
do yesterday, and I found after some months that I was not writing any
poetry, and I didn’t like that, so I decided midnight would be the
hour when Brown would disappear for me and I’d work on my poems no
matter what. I decided to do some collage work with my poems, and the
mechanical part of it, just getting words from somewhere, I thought
would be something I could do without thinking, so I got a batch of
books and put them on the table—the plan was very simple, I put three
books in front of me, all prose, a novel, then something
psychological, then whatever I happened to have around. I would take
phrases from these three books and make some stanzas, four, five six
lines. Once I had that I’d make more stanzas of the same number of
lines, and when that gave out, after a page or two, I’d say alright I
have this poem now and I would take it to the typewriter and type it
up and in doing so I would rearrange the stanzas alphabetically. I
wasn’t worried about keeping the words exactly what they were—
sometimes I changed words. I wasn’t trying to prove anything about
collage, I was trying to write poems. Then I would put a title on it
and put it aside. Then after a matter of weeks, I had something book
length, when it wasn’t working anymore, I stopped. At that point I
rearranged all the poems by title and that was the second part of the
book. The first and third parts are mainly collage, a little less. I
had different ways of working with it.
(the rest of the exchange is here: http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2009_p_waldrop_interv.html

++

Also useful is the end of an interview with Waldrop conducted by Peter
Gizzi (a former student of Waldrop’s):

Keith Waldrop: I think this is part of a more general question: Where
does it come from, where do we get, the energy to "create"? And all I
can say is that it seems to me to come from the desire of the thing to
be created.

To ask why someone writes is usually a red herring. One may write
because of emotion or because of moral need or because a bill is
coming due or to explain an idea or because of some whim, and those
"causes" may well leave their traces in the poem. But the poem is in
the words of the poem-in their relations, internal and external. In
one sense, the words of the poem belong to the poem. In another sense,
they belong to the language the poem is written in and to the world
that language is part of. There is no mystical substance behind the
words. There is no key, since there is no lock. And there is no
psychological state behind it, because when the poem is done, the poet
is dead.

(the rest of the interview is here:

http://www.sigliopress.com/library/kw_petergizzi.htm

+++

Here, Waldrop is interviewed by Charles Bernstein

http://media.sas.upenn.edu/pennsound/authors/Waldrop-K/Close-Listening/Waldrop-Keith_Close-Listening_conversation_11-05-09.mp3

At this link, Waldrop reads a selection of his work:

http://media.sas.upenn.edu/pennsound/authors/Waldrop-K/Close-Listening/Waldrop-Keith_Close-Listening_reading_11-05-09.mp3

Onward,

Richard Deming, Co-Coordinator