[YPA] Minutes from YPA December Meeting

Hastings, Andrew andrew.hastings at yale.edu
Mon Dec 19 15:25:09 EST 2016

Greetings Fellow Postdocs!

Here is your chance to find out what the YPA has been up to! You can find the minutes from our last YPA steering committee meeting below. If you have suggestions or comments about any items and you couldn’t attend our meeting, feel free to email ypa at yale.edu<mailto:ypa at yale.edu>. We really appreciate your feedback.

These meetings are always open to everyone, so please join us on the second Tuesday of January for our next meeting! We hope to see you at one of our upcoming events!

Safe travels to everyone traveling this holiday season. We hope you have a very happy holidays!

-          Andrew and Katherine

[http://ypa.yale.edu/sites/default/files/images/logoYPA-50pix.png]<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

Andrew Hastings<mailto:ypa at yale.edu> • Co-chair<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

ypa.yale.edu<http://ypa.yale.edu/> • Yale University<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.google.com_maps_place_Yale-2BUniversity_-4041.3163244-2C-2D72.9223431-2C17z_data-3D-213m1-214b1-214m2-213m1-211s0x89e7d9b6cd624945-3A0xae34a2c4b4d30427-3Fhl-3Den&d=CwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=ts6DoxU3a_s2fzzn3QvIpkoyCYYwiXKYHpcc0R45jAo&m=FgXRbiJgDOscCLNahkDZ3nhZCbIoKUSNusnn2q8dZFU&s=Ioms67o9eB7mg19vA7AWNTGCjKuAN0dnvvNtEbmnYp8&e= >

[http://ypa.yale.edu/sites/default/files/images/logoYPA-50pix.png]<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

Katherine Hastings<mailto:ypa at yale.edu> • Co-chair<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

ypa.yale.edu<http://ypa.yale.edu/> • Yale University<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.google.com_maps_place_Yale-2BUniversity_-4041.3163244-2C-2D72.9223431-2C17z_data-3D-213m1-214b1-214m2-213m1-211s0x89e7d9b6cd624945-3A0xae34a2c4b4d30427-3Fhl-3Den&d=CwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=ts6DoxU3a_s2fzzn3QvIpkoyCYYwiXKYHpcc0R45jAo&m=FgXRbiJgDOscCLNahkDZ3nhZCbIoKUSNusnn2q8dZFU&s=Ioms67o9eB7mg19vA7AWNTGCjKuAN0dnvvNtEbmnYp8&e= >

YPA steering committee |MINUTES

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 | 5 pm | Medical Library L101A

Attendees:

Mahdis Shayan                                    Kristen Murfin                                     Katherine Hastings                             Jianyu Wu

Sandra Martinez-Morilla                  Judit Jimenez Sainz                             Andrew Hastings                                Dragomir Milanovic

Jenny Feng                                            Jenny Cheng                                         Esra Karaca                                          Andrea Reyna

Courtney Frederick                             Leepakshi Khurana                             Christoph Zimmer                               Steve Blum (AYA)

Organization

·         The YPA will be updating our mission statement and bylaws to reflect the new organizational structure and to align ourselves more closely with the mission of Yale University.

o     A meeting is being organized for January to work on this and to update our website. We will be making efforts to make the website more user-friendly and working to develop a ‘Resources’ page that incorporates information from the Postdoc Orientation 201 and other resources.

o     A vote will be held at our next meeting on the new bylaws.

·         We discussed ways in which the YPA can support diversity in the postdoc community, and we will vote on the formation of a new subcommittee focused on campus climate and diversity at our next meeting. Jenny F., Courtney, and Andrea have drafted an amendment to the bylaws to add a diversity subcommittee, and Andrew and Katherine will work with them to further refine this amendment in advance of a vote in the next meeting.

Communication subcommittee

·         Steve Blum, Senior Director, Strategic Initiatives at the Association of Yale Alumni, joined us for this meeting, and will join us for future meetings as well. Steve and the AYA are very willing to partner with the YPA in the future and provide avenues for postdocs to connect with the over 160k Yale alumni.

·         All members of the YPA subcommittees should send their updated bios (no more than 120 words) and a picture to Daniel (jianyu.wu at yale.edu) to incorporate into the website.

·         YPA website had 639 visits from 401 unique users in December (643 visits from 460 unique users in November)

Professional Development subcommittee

·         Postdoc Career Café – will be held again in February and April of 2017. The subcommittee has proposed the following topics: 1. Grants for international postdocs and 2. How to start to find jobs in Biotech. They are beginning to reach out to individuals for these two events.

·         Orientation 201: An Introduction to Resources Available to Postdocs at Yale. Will be held again in March 2017. 80% of individuals who responded to our survey were either satisfied or very satisfied with the first Orientation 201. We discussed whether we should decrease the amount of time given to some of the speakers or have the cores just have tables to try to streamline this event. More discussion will occur in our January meeting.

·         New “Research in…” event was discussed, “Research in Spain”. Judit is reaching out to potential speakers for this event and will report back soon.

Networking subcommittee/Upcoming events

·         The Holiday Cookie Party and Food Drive was a success. Around 25 people showed up throughout the event, and we donated a large box of food to the CT Food Bank to feed hungry people in our area.

·         Sandra has spoken to the Yale Children’s Hospital Toy Closet and will organize a few postdocs to volunteer to help with organizing and distributing toys to children in the hospital.

·         The YPA Open House and Social at the McDougal Center will be held on January 27th from 6-7:30p. We will collaborate with the McDougal Center to provide food and drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic). We will also have tables set up so people can get more information about various organizations on campus. We need at least 6-8 people to volunteer to help us set-up, clean-up, check people in, monitor food, and serve drinks.

·         Esra proposed advertising concerts at the Yale School of Music to postdocs. We will try to highlight one event per month and encourage postdocs to attend as a group.

·         No Last Saturday at the Museum for December due to holidays.

·         Proposed upcoming events: Winter comfort food/hot chocolate party, Skiing/Ice Tubing trip in collaboration with the Office of International Students and Scholars, and a Winery trip.