[YPA] Minutes from YPA Meeting

Hastings, Andrew andrew.hastings at yale.edu
Thu Jul 14 12:08:09 EDT 2016

Dear postdocs,

Please find bellow the minutes from Tuesday YPA steering committee meeting.  If you have suggestions or comments about any items and that you could attend our meeting, feel free to email ypa at yale.edu<mailto:ypa at yale.edu>. We really appreciate your feedback.

We hope to see you at one of our upcoming events!

Have a great weekend!

[http://ypa.yale.edu/sites/default/files/images/logoYPA-50pix.png]<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

Andrew Hastings<mailto:ypa at yale.edu%20> • Co-chair<http://ypa.yale.edu>

ypa.yale.edu<http://ypa.yale.edu> • Yale University<https://www.google.com/maps/place/Yale+University/@41.3163244,-72.9223431,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e7d9b6cd624945:0xae34a2c4b4d30427?hl=en>

YPA steering committee |MINUTES
Tuesday, July 12, 2016 | 6 pm | SHM C103

Attendees
Florian Carle                          Andrew Hastings                  Katherine Hastings             Shameela Gany
Dragomir Milovanovic         Jens Jaeger                             Jianyu Wu (Daniel)               Xi Liu

Organization
YPA has exhausted our budget for this year, and is waiting for word on the funding for next year. Next fiscal year will begin in August. The co-chairs and subcommittee coordinators met with John Alvaro (OPA) and Kimberly Goff-Crews (Office for Student Life) and presented our past and planned future events as well as our proposed budget ($8200). If you are interested, you can find the presentation here: YPA Presentation<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1bH55kM9w277yo_vcXG7GbsVyXXTiagN_JtYyXuJ3Bp8/edit?usp=sharing>.

Recruiting
Congratulations to our newly appointed postdoc!
                - Communication subcommittee coordinator: Dragomir

If you are interested in joining any of our subcommittees (Communication, Professional Development and Networking) please contact us at ypa.yale.edu<mailto:ypa.yale.edu>.

Communication
- Dragomir has volunteered to attend the postdoc orientation on July 21st. Shameela will  forward him all the information and signup sheet.
- Andrew and Florian are working on a flyer. We aim to have one ready for the National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW) in September.
- In addition, Andrew and Florian will work with John Alvaro on an e-mail to all postdocs advertising the YPA and the YPA listserv to go out during the NPAW.
- Jianyu is working on updating the website to split the people page in three to reflect the subcommittees. Please send him a bio and a picture for the website if you want to be added.
- Dragomir, Jianyu and Andrew are going to work on another run of YPA t-shirts. They will discuss possible designs in the August meeting.
- YPA website got 524 visits and 427 users in June (increased compared to May).
- A greater effort should be made to put the YPA logo on all YPA event advertisements. Contact Andrew or Florian if you would like an image file of this logo.

Professional Development
- Katherine met with Kaury Kaucera at the Yale CTL. We are going to work on a survey to postdocs to determine what kind of events might be of interest to the postdoc community. We also discussed a formal letter from the YPA expressing a desire for teaching opportunities to be opened for Yale postdocs.
- The CTL is starting up a Certificate in College Teaching course specifically for postdocs beginning this Fall. More information to follow.

Events
- Happy hour on July 15 at Trinity bar. Andrea will be in charge of July Happy Hour since Sandra is busy this month.
- Research funding from the European Union event was held on June 22. 160 people signed up and 110 people attended. We got very good feedback via word of mouth.
- Last Saturday at the Museum on July 30 (Yale Art Gallery this month). Xi will share with John Alvaro and make Eventbrite event.

Upcoming Events
- The Yale Club of NYC reception will be September 9th. More details to follow
- A tour of the IPCH (Institute for the Preservation of Cultural Heritage) on West Campus is being organized followed by a happy hour. Jens and Balu are in contact with MB&B on the West Campus.
- The YPA will receive 20 free tickets for Tennis Open here in New Haven. The tickets will be for Mon-Thurs 1p session. Contact the YPA if you are interested in going.
- An event in cooperation with the Yale Stress Center is being investigated by Shameela and Dragomir.