[YPA] Minutes from November YPA Meeting

Hastings, Andrew andrew.hastings at yale.edu
Fri Nov 25 13:12:17 EST 2016

Dear fellow postdocs,

Here is your chance to find out what the YPA has been up to! You can find the minutes from our last YPA steering committee meeting below. If you have suggestions or comments about any items and you couldn’t attend our meeting, feel free to email ypa at yale.edu<mailto:ypa at yale.edu>. We really appreciate your feedback.

These meetings are always open to everyone, so please join us on the second Tuesday of December for our next meeting! We hope to see you at one of our upcoming events!

Have a great day!

[http://ypa.yale.edu/sites/default/files/images/logoYPA-50pix.png]<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

Katherine Hastings<mailto:ypa at yale.edu> • Co-chair<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

ypa.yale.edu<http://ypa.yale.edu/> • Yale University<https://www.google.com/maps/place/Yale+University/@41.3163244,-72.9223431,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e7d9b6cd624945:0xae34a2c4b4d30427?hl=en>

[http://ypa.yale.edu/sites/default/files/images/logoYPA-50pix.png]<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

Andrew Hastings<mailto:ypa at yale.edu%20> • Co-chair<http://ypa.yale.edu>

ypa.yale.edu<http://ypa.yale.edu> • Yale University<https://www.google.com/maps/place/Yale+University/@41.3163244,-72.9223431,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e7d9b6cd624945:0xae34a2c4b4d30427?hl=en>

 YPA steering committee |MINUTES

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 | 6 pm | TAC S224

Attendees:

Mahdis Shayan                                    Kristen Murfin                     Katherine Hastings                             Alexandre Jourdon

Sandra Martinez-Morilla                  Judit Jimenez Sainz             Andrew Hastings                                John Alvaro

Organization
The YPA budget currently stands at $4250.  Andrew and Katherine gave a synopsis of our current budgetary position and presented a new proposed budget for the remaining fiscal year.
Make sure to include YPA logo on flyers and other materials. Andrew and Katherine have this file if you need it.
Communication subcommittee

·         Dragomir presented the YPA at the Postdoc Orientation; Thursday, November 17.

·         Conversation with Kathy Edersheim and Steve Blum, senior directors of international alumni relations at the AYA was held Monday, November 21st. Approximately 15 people attended. The AYA is very willing to partner with the YPA more in the future and provide avenues for postdocs to connect with Yale alumni.

·         Research at the Max Planck Society with Birgit Adams was held Wednesday, November 9th. Dragomir will obtain the slides from this presentation to place on our webpage.

·         YPA website had 643 visits from 460 unique users in November (565 visits from 372 unique users in October)

Professional Development subcommittee

·         Postdoc Career Café – New series of casual panel discussions for topics particularly relevant to postdocs -  First session: Navigating the grant process – was held on October 26th. 84 people signed up to attend. A synopsis of this event is posted on the webpage: http://ypa.yale.edu/postdoc-career-cafe-navigating-grant-process-summary

·         Subjects for the next Postdoc Career Café were discussed and include: “How to Start the Job Search”, “Informational Interviewing”, “Maximizing LinkedIn, ResearchGate”, “Grant Review Process”, “Faculty Interviews/Chalk Talk/Faculty application Package”

·         Orientation 201: An Introduction to Resources Available to Postdocs at Yale. This will be held 2x year, and will seek to inform postdocs about resources on campus (i.e. CTL, OCS, OISS, cores, libraries, affinity groups, etc.).  The first session was held November 11th. 73 people signed up. The slides from the presenters can be found here: http://ypa.yale.edu/Orientation201-Summary

·         New “Research in…” event was discussed, “Research in Switzerland”. Judit will investigate.

·         Meeting with the CTL was repeated to determine ways to collaborate and communicate offerings [Mahdis]

·         Report from the OCS. [Kristen]

o    Joint calendar for student/postdoc groups. Can add our events and check for conflicts.

o    SciPhD – January 13th, 2017.

Networking subcommittee/Upcoming events

·         Pumpkin Picking at Bishop’s Orchard was on October 15th. 54 people signed up.

·         Happy Hour was held on Friday November 18th at Trinity Bar. Around 25 people attended.

·         Open House at the Hall of Graduate Studies (HGS) will be held in January.

·         No Last Saturday at the Museum for November and December due to holidays.

·         Potential upcoming events include: Attending Yale Hockey games, Winter wine trail, ice skating, sushi making lessons, and community service events.