[YPA] Meeting Minutes and Upcoming Events

Yale Postdoctoral Association ypa at yale.edu
Thu Oct 13 14:23:02 EDT 2016

Hello Yale Postdocs,

The YPA had a productive steering committee meeting last Tuesday, and you can find the minutes below. We want to emphasize that these monthly meetings occur on the second Tuesday of every month, and are open to all Yale Postdocs. We hope to see you all at one of our upcoming meetings.

We also have a few events coming up that you might be interested in. Happy Hour at Anna Liffey’s (17 Whitney Ave) is 6-8p on this Friday October 14th. Pumpkin Picking Trip to Bishop’s Orchard is this Saturday October 15th from 10a-2p. There are still a few seats left on the bus so go to our website for more information and to grab your seat: ypa.yale.edu/pumpkinpicking<http://ypa.yale.edu/pumpkinpicking>. Finally, the first Postdoc Career Café hosted by the YPA will be held on Wednesday October 26th from 2-3p. Visit our webpage for more information and to sign-up: ypa.yale.edu/postdoc-career-cafe<http://ypa.yale.edu/postdoc-career-cafe>.

As always, send this information around to all of your postdoc friends to help us further our reach, and we hope to see you at one of the YPA’s upcoming events!

Thanks,
Katherine and Drew

[http://ypa.yale.edu/sites/default/files/images/logoYPA-50pix.png]<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

Andrew Hastings<mailto:ypa at yale.edu> • Co-chair<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

ypa.yale.edu<http://ypa.yale.edu/> • Yale University<https://www.google.com/maps/place/Yale+University/@41.3163244,-72.9223431,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e7d9b6cd624945:0xae34a2c4b4d30427?hl=en>

[http://ypa.yale.edu/sites/default/files/images/logoYPA-50pix.png]<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

Katherine Hastings<mailto:ypa at yale.edu> • Co-chair<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

ypa.yale.edu<http://ypa.yale.edu/> • Yale University<https://www.google.com/maps/place/Yale+University/@41.3163244,-72.9223431,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e7d9b6cd624945:0xae34a2c4b4d30427?hl=en>

YPA Steering Committee |MINUTES

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 | 6 pm | TAC S224

Attendees:

Jianyu (Daniel) Wu                              Xi Liu                                                      Christoph Zimmer                               Mahdis Shayan

Dragomir Milovanovic                       Sandra Martinez-Morilla                  Judit Jimenez Sainz                             Andrew Hastings

Grace Lyall                                           Qianni (Jenny) Cheng                         Kristen Murfin                                     Katherine Hastings

Organization
The YPA budget currently stands at $4000.  Additional funds are being pursued by the co-chairs.  An updated budget will be presented at the next meeting to reflect our current budget and financial standings.
The YPA is additionally seeking to broaden its outreach capacity through access to a more comprehensive email list of current Yale postdocs through the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs.
Recrutiing
Positions are open to join any of the YPA subcommittees (Communication, Professional Development, and Networking).  If you are interested, please attend our monthly meeting to get involved.
Communication subcommittee

·         Dragomir will present for YPA at the next Postdoc Orientation; Thursday, October 13 at 2:50pm

·         AYA update: Conversation/Seminar with Kathy Edersheim, senior director of international alumni relations at AYA is being scheduled for a date in November. [Dragomir]

·         [NEW] YPA newsletter to start November 2016 to include highlights from each YPA subcommittee. Highlights need to be submitted to Dragomir and Daniel by the 25th of each month.

·         YPA website had 927 visits from 702 unique users in August (433 visits from 354 unique users in July)

Professional Development subcommittee

·         [NEW] Postdoc Career Café – New series of casual panel discussions for topics particularly relevant to postdocs -  First session: Navigating the grant process – October 26; 2pm; TAC S247

·         [NEW] Orientation 201: An Introduction to Resources Available to Postdocs at Yale. This will be held 3x year, and will seek to inform postdocs about resources on campus (i.e. CTL, OCS, OISS, cores, libraries, affinity groups, etc.).  First session: November 11; 2pm; Room TBD

·         [NEW] Online data-base of resources for postdocs

·         Meeting with the CTL was repeated to determine ways to collaborate and communicate offerings [Mahdis]

·         Birgit Adams from Max Planck Headquarters (Corporate Communication Office) in Munich will be at Yale for another meeting and is willing to give a presentation of the opportunities available at the Max Planck Society. Dragomir will keep in touch with her and update when more is known.

Networking subcommittee/Upcoming events

·         [NEW] Pumpkin Picking at Bishop’s Orchard – October 15th; 10am-2pm

·         Happy Hour – Friday October 14th from 6-8p at Anna Liffey’s (17 Whitney Ave)

·         Last Saturday at the Museum on October 29th (Yale University British Art Gallery this month)