[YPA] Minutes from September YPA Meeting (Check out our upcoming events)

Hastings, Andrew andrew.hastings at yale.edu
Wed Sep 14 13:50:17 EDT 2016

Dear fellow postdocs,

Here is your chance to find out what the YPA has been planning! You can find the minutes from Tuesday’s YPA steering committee meeting below.  If you have suggestions or comments about any items and that you could attend our meeting, feel free to email ypa at yale.edu<mailto:ypa at yale.edu>. We really appreciate your feedback.

We also got word about an event being held by the office of career services (OCS) that might be of interest to postdocs:
BUSINESS OF BIOTECH
Sept. 19, 2016-April 19, 2017
Alexion, 100 College St., New Haven
DETAILS AND REGISTRATION<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/business-of-biotech-tickets-27551177313>
Business of Biotech is a workshop series that will introduce grad students, postdocs and faculty from Yale and UConn to the core skills and building blocks to translate their research to the marketplace. The series will launch Sept. 19-21 followed by monthly scheduled workshops, all hosted at Alexion. The series will bring in investors, biotech entrepre­neurs, legal experts and others to provide guidance, hands-on workshops and case studies on topics like business plans and funding for life science companies; intellectual property and regulatory considerations; marketing; case studies in life science entrepreneurship; FDA approval; trends in life science funding and exits and more.
Presented by the Office of Cooperative Research and Yale Entrepreneurial Institute with support from the Yale Healthcare and Lifesciences Club, Canaan Partners, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, Jackson Labs and Alexion Pharmaceuticals.

We hope to see you at one of our upcoming events and at our next meeting in October (The second Tuesday of every month)!

Have a great day!

[http://ypa.yale.edu/sites/default/files/images/logoYPA-50pix.png]<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

Andrew Hastings<mailto:ypa at yale.edu%20> • Co-chair<http://ypa.yale.edu>

ypa.yale.edu<http://ypa.yale.edu> • Yale University<https://www.google.com/maps/place/Yale+University/@41.3163244,-72.9223431,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e7d9b6cd624945:0xae34a2c4b4d30427?hl=en>

YPA steering committee |MINUTES
Tuesday, September 15th, 2016 | 6 pm | TAC S224

Attendees
Florian Carle              Andrew Hastings                   Katherine Hastings         Jens Jaeger
Grace Lyall                 Kristen Murfin                        Alexandre Jourdon         Mahdis Shayan
Christoph Zimmer     Sandra Martinez-Morilla     Jianyu Wu (Daniel)         Xi Liu

Organization
YPA budget currently stands at $5000 (including $1000 earmarked for travel for a representative to National Postdoc Conference). Additional funds have been requested through the Office for Student Life and Secretary of the University (Kimberly Goff-Crews). Waiting for more information.

Recruiting
Congratulations to our newly appointed postdoc!

- Professional Development subcommittee coordinators: Kristen Murfin and Mahdis Shayan
                - Networking subcommittee coordinator: Xi Liu
            - Co-Chair: Katherine Hastings

If you are interested in joining any of our subcommittees (Communication, Professional Development and Networking) please contact us at ypa.yale.edu<mailto:ypa.yale.edu>.

Communication
- Jianyu has volunteered to attend the postdoc orientation on September 15th.
- We have a flyer advertising the YPA (website and e-mail list) to be posted for the National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW) beginning on September 19th. (Flyer attached here – print out and help us distribute!)
- In addition, Andrew will work with John Alvaro and Grace Lyall on an e-mail to all postdocs advertising the YPA and the YPA listserv to go out during the NPAW.
- 102 people ordered Yale Postdoc t-shirts. Will be distributed starting this week.
- YPA website got 927 visits from 702 users in August (increased compared to July).
- Remember to always put the YPA logo on all YPA event advertisements. Contact Andrew or Katherine if you would like an image file of this logo.

Professional Development
- Katherine and Kaury Kaucera at the Yale Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) put together a survey that 95 postdocs participated in. We will use the data from this survey to try to tailor CTL programs better to postdocs. We are also working on a newsletter from the CTL that will be specifically highlighting events that postdocs might be interested in.
- We are working with the Office of Career Services (OCS) to try to reach postdocs more effectively to let them know about what this group has to offer.
- Drago has been in touch with Birgit Adams from Max Planck Headquarters (Corporate Communication Office) in Munich, who is willing to give a presentation of the Max Planck Society (the second largest multidisciplinary research institute in Germany). Will be similar to ‘Research in Germany/Europe events’.
- We will work to organize a ‘Postdoc Orientation 201’ that will seek to inform postdocs who have been here for 6 months – 1 year (everyone will be welcome) about resources on campus (I.e., CTL, OCS, OISS, core facilities, libraries, affinity groups, etc.). Short presentation by these groups and an opportunity for postdocs to approach them after to find out more.

Networking
- Postdoc Potluck (‘Postluck’) will be held on September 23rd. (Flyer attached – Print and put up around your workplace!) Make sure to sign up by September 16th!
- Happy hour on September 16th at Rudy’s bar (1227 Chapel St.). Specials will be: $2 off select drafts, $1 off wine glasses and $1 off ‘call drinks’.
- Visit to tour the Institute for the Preservation of Cultural Heritage (IPCH) on West Campus and Happy hour on September 30th. This institute restores artwork, uses technology to assist in researching archeological finds, creates topographical maps of historical sites, just to name a few things! They will give us a behind the scenes look at what they do, which should be very interestings! Tour will be at 430p and happy hour will start around 6p! Look out for an e-mail next week with more info.
- Last Saturday at the Museum on September 24th (Yale Art Gallery this month). Xi will share with John Alvaro and make Eventbrite event.

Upcoming Events
- Drago has worked to organize a seminar in cooperation with the Anne Dutton from the Yale Stress Center. Will be held on October 5th at 1p. Tentative title of talk will be, “Current approaches to stress and stress-reduction”.
- Conversation/Seminar with Kathy Edersheim, senior director of international alumni relations at AYA, that will take place on Wednesday, November 16th, at 1 pm.