[YPA] YPA Website Updates and February Meeting Minutes

Hastings, Andrew andrew.hastings at yale.edu
Tue Feb 21 13:58:36 EST 2017

Greetings Fellow Postdocs,

Here is your chance to find out what the YPA has been up to! You can find the minutes from our last YPA steering committee meeting below.

We want to especially highlight some work we have done on our website and by-laws. You can check out our new by-laws here: http://ypa.yale.edu/YPA-mission-statement-and-bylaws-2017edit and our brand-new Resources page that we hope can help postdocs find information on groups on- and off-campus that can enrich their lives as postdocs: http://ypa.yale.edu/resources. If you have any ideas for resources that could be included on this page we would love to hear them.

We also will have an open position as Networking Subcommittee coordinator starting in March. If you are interested, please let us know. Preference will be given to those who have been involved in the YPA for the longest period of time. If you have suggestions or comments about any items and you couldn’t attend our meeting, feel free to email ypa at yale.edu<mailto:ypa at yale.edu>. We really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Andrew and Katherine

[ttp://ypa.yale.edu/sites/default/files/images/logoYPA-50pix.png]<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

Andrew Hastings<mailto:ypa at yale.edu> • Co-chair<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

ypa.yale.edu<http://ypa.yale.edu/> • Yale University<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.google.com_maps_place_Yale-2BUniversity_-4041.3163244-2C-2D72.9223431-2C17z_data-3D-213m1-214b1-214m2-213m1-211s0x89e7d9b6cd624945-3A0xae34a2c4b4d30427-3Fhl-3Den&d=DwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=ts6DoxU3a_s2fzzn3QvIpkoyCYYwiXKYHpcc0R45jAo&m=34Yf4KaTWWqdHayJEOJUI-jNpfiBacYw7cUAAIGMvao&s=0QkHhJBqahayLXfLFrG2oxSiSVGp8URZYWh0R95D1qc&e= >

[ttp://ypa.yale.edu/sites/default/files/images/logoYPA-50pix.png]<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

Katherine Hastings<mailto:ypa at yale.edu> • Co-chair<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

ypa.yale.edu<http://ypa.yale.edu/> • Yale University<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.google.com_maps_place_Yale-2BUniversity_-4041.3163244-2C-2D72.9223431-2C17z_data-3D-213m1-214b1-214m2-213m1-211s0x89e7d9b6cd624945-3A0xae34a2c4b4d30427-3Fhl-3Den&d=DwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=ts6DoxU3a_s2fzzn3QvIpkoyCYYwiXKYHpcc0R45jAo&m=34Yf4KaTWWqdHayJEOJUI-jNpfiBacYw7cUAAIGMvao&s=0QkHhJBqahayLXfLFrG2oxSiSVGp8URZYWh0R95D1qc&e= >

[cid:image001.png at 01D28C4A.985E6F80]YPA steering committee |MINUTES

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 | 6 pm | Medical Library L101A

Attendees:

Zahra Rattray                                      Kristen Murfin                                     Katherine Hastings                             Jianyu Wu

Sandra Martinez-Morilla                  Judit Jimenez Sainz                             Andrew Hastings                                 Grace Lyall

Burak Dura                                           Nicholas Rattray                                 Nadia Ayal-Lopez                                Alexandre Jourdon

Courtney Frederick                             Christoph Zimmer                               Dragomir Milovanovic

Organization

·         Website working group met and made a few changes to the website. The most significant is the addition of a ‘Resources’ page. Any additional resources?

·         New by-laws were written with input from subcommittee coordinators:

o Mission statement more closely tracks with Yale U. mission

o New organizational structure established last Summer is now reflected

o Roles of co-chairs, subcommittee coordinators and communication officers clearly defined

o NEW Advocacy Subcommittee was formed

·         By-laws were ratified by Executive Committee and are on website

·         Maria Gutierrez came and spoke about the Title IX office and we will establish a collaboration through our Advocacy subcommittee.

o    Sexual misconduct, bystander intervention and bias recognition programs are offered through their office, and they would like feedback from postdocs to help serve our community better.

·         Jenny Feng and Courtney Frederick are our new Advocacy subcommittee coordinators and Judit Jimenez Sainz is our new Networking subcommittee coordinator.

·         [NEW] One Networking subcommittee coordinator positions will be open for vote at our next meeting.  Please notify the YPA if you have interest in these positions (ypa at yale.edu)

Communication subcommittee

·         Dragomir gave us some information on Mory’s Ambassador’s

·         All members of the YPA subcommittees should send their updated bios (no more than 120 words) and a picture to Daniel (jianyu.wu at yale.edu) to incorporate into the website.

·         YPA website had 484 visits from 350 unique users in January (359 visits from 277 unique users in December)

Advocacy subcommittee

·         Discussed mentoring program through the Office for Graduate Student Development & Diversity

·         Courtney discussed the Minority Organization for Retention & Expansion (MORE) program and their upcoming event. Discussed best ways to advertise.

o Faculty mentoring group: luncheon – research/experiences as minority in STEM.

Professional Development subcommittee

·         Postdoc Career Café: ‘Finding a Job in Biotech’ – was held February 16th– 6p. 102 people signed up and 63 people attended. We received $250 from the OCS to help cover food costs.

·         Orientation 201: An Introduction to Resources Available to Postdocs at Yale. Will be held again in March 2017. A subcommittee meeting will be held to plan further.

Networking subcommittee/Upcoming events

·         The YPA Open House and Social at the McDougal Center was held on January 27th from 6-7:30p. We had over 200 people attend.

·         Yale Ice Hockey Games: 48 people attended the Yale vs Brown University game. 63 people attended the Yale vs Dartmouth University game.

·         Uncovering Yale’s treasures with YPA and AYA will be February 24 at 4-5pm. Registration is now full.

·         The first Yale School of Music event had 12 people in attendance. We might need to meet directly in front of the location instead. We will meet with someone from the School of Music to discuss discounts for postdocs for some of the events that cost money.

·         Last Saturday at the Museum will be February 25th at 12:30pm at the Yale Art Gallery.

·         Proposed upcoming events: Winery trip (May). PEZ factory tour. Chocolate factory tour.