[YPA] Upcoming Events and January YPA Meeting Minutes

Yale Postdoctoral Association ypa at yale.edu
Mon Jan 16 15:49:44 EST 2017

Hello Fellow Postdocs,

Here is your chance to find out what the YPA has been up to! You can find the minutes from our last YPA steering committee meeting below. We also will have two open positions as Networking Subcommittee coordinators starting in March. If you are interested, please let us know. Preference will be given to those who have been involved in the YPA for the longest period of time. If you have suggestions or comments about any items and you couldn’t attend our meeting, feel free to email ypa at yale.edu<mailto:ypa at yale.edu>. We really appreciate your feedback.

We also have a few exciting events coming up that we would like to tell you about below!

YPA Trip to Yale Hockey Games
The YPA will be organizing a block of tickets to see the Yale Ice Hockey team play!
Saturday, January 28th @ 7p against Brown University
and
Saturday February 18th @ 7p against Dartmouth University
Tickets are $11 each.
If you are interested in joining us, fill out this form: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__goo.gl_forms_BE7qQVVrLimqzTxj1&d=CwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=ts6DoxU3a_s2fzzn3QvIpkoyCYYwiXKYHpcc0R45jAo&m=5R5BGkXzXHnxl6-VuhzG3pDF_rL772u8-orcDARhHoE&s=lRE0QkO5_Cm4DhlVzQRlcFPKjDTyaNzBe-ck8zSbD0k&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__goo.gl_forms_BE7qQVVrLimqzTxj1&d=CwMGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=ts6DoxU3a_s2fzzn3QvIpkoyCYYwiXKYHpcc0R45jAo&m=qXCOIx8MbjsEPwmflF9tXEb0_YLYB2vNiuBEdscB2AU&s=B0NYysyQlGWaO_bhdVbBeRqoiE4mdNR4edQpUJ7Qo_w&e=>
You can pay for your ticket using the Venmo app here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tinyurl.com_YaleHockeyTickets&d=CwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=ts6DoxU3a_s2fzzn3QvIpkoyCYYwiXKYHpcc0R45jAo&m=5R5BGkXzXHnxl6-VuhzG3pDF_rL772u8-orcDARhHoE&s=_750BfeBF1UYGAoWzmcK0NHzn4fEnQqsHxdVIbCHzNg&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tinyurl.com_YaleHockeyTickets&d=CwMGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=ts6DoxU3a_s2fzzn3QvIpkoyCYYwiXKYHpcc0R45jAo&m=qXCOIx8MbjsEPwmflF9tXEb0_YLYB2vNiuBEdscB2AU&s=N2ZRDttpyhy_K394fyfbyNwyP_uxCoBN2XzXIFhjQdo&e=>
If you have any questions please contact Judit Jimenez Sainz (judit.jimenezsainz at yale.edu)<mailto:judit.jimenezsainz at yale.edu)>

YPA Open House and Social at the McDougal Center
The YPA is holding its second annual Open House and Social at the McDougal Center in the Hall of Graduate Studies.
Friday January 27th from 6-730pm
at The McDougal Student Center, Hall of Graduate Studies – 320 York Street New Haven, CT 06511
There will be free food, free drinks (including delicious margaritas!!!), and you will have a chance to talk to your fellow postdocs and some on-campus resources in a relaxed atmosphere. Family and Friends are welcome!
RSVP Here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__goo.gl_forms_P8Fsk1gpxF1CGRa63&d=CwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=ts6DoxU3a_s2fzzn3QvIpkoyCYYwiXKYHpcc0R45jAo&m=5R5BGkXzXHnxl6-VuhzG3pDF_rL772u8-orcDARhHoE&s=C7mfImI4SULTxm4fW26VDhXR9qTJlb-bw_Xw2q1cDHo&e=
Map to the Location: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2jMQwqc&d=CwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=ts6DoxU3a_s2fzzn3QvIpkoyCYYwiXKYHpcc0R45jAo&m=5R5BGkXzXHnxl6-VuhzG3pDF_rL772u8-orcDARhHoE&s=pz7CIa3aaWQTbn-YmYACt0q0DzIDrIHkGQVTcIiR1hI&e=

YPA Trip to the Yale School of Music
Yale has the only School of Music in the Ivy Leagues, and that means that there are a ton of really great musicians that we can enjoy for free (or very cheap) right here on campus. We will be trying to organize a trip to take advantage of this awesome opportunity at least once a month starting with this month. If you want to join us, we will be meeting outside of Sterling Memorial Library on Old Campus 20 minutes prior to the concerts and will try to sit together.

Faculty Artist Series (Piano, Bassoon, and Violin)

Sunday January 29th at 3p

We hope you can join us for one or all of these events. Let us know if you have any questions: ypa at yale.edu<mailto:ypa at yale.edu>

[http://ypa.yale.edu/sites/default/files/images/logoYPA-50pix.png]<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

Andrew Hastings<mailto:ypa at yale.edu> • Co-chair<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

ypa.yale.edu<http://ypa.yale.edu/> • Yale University<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.google.com_maps_place_Yale-2BUniversity_-4041.3163244-2C-2D72.9223431-2C17z_data-3D-213m1-214b1-214m2-213m1-211s0x89e7d9b6cd624945-3A0xae34a2c4b4d30427-3Fhl-3Den&d=CwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=ts6DoxU3a_s2fzzn3QvIpkoyCYYwiXKYHpcc0R45jAo&m=5R5BGkXzXHnxl6-VuhzG3pDF_rL772u8-orcDARhHoE&s=whv3nSHtpupXi5_biaDnjXBPvNRJdmIvW4R_c8PmpSw&e= >

[http://ypa.yale.edu/sites/default/files/images/logoYPA-50pix.png]<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

Katherine Hastings<mailto:ypa at yale.edu> • Co-chair<http://ypa.yale.edu/>

ypa.yale.edu<http://ypa.yale.edu/> • Yale University<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.google.com_maps_place_Yale-2BUniversity_-4041.3163244-2C-2D72.9223431-2C17z_data-3D-213m1-214b1-214m2-213m1-211s0x89e7d9b6cd624945-3A0xae34a2c4b4d30427-3Fhl-3Den&d=CwIGaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=ts6DoxU3a_s2fzzn3QvIpkoyCYYwiXKYHpcc0R45jAo&m=5R5BGkXzXHnxl6-VuhzG3pDF_rL772u8-orcDARhHoE&s=whv3nSHtpupXi5_biaDnjXBPvNRJdmIvW4R_c8PmpSw&e= >

[cid:image002.png at 01D27010.26504C70]YPA steering committee |MINUTES

Tuesday, January 10, 2016 | 6 pm | Medical Library L101A

Attendees:

Mahdis Shayan                                    Kristen Murfin                                     Katherine Hastings                             Jianyu Wu

Sandra Martinez-Morilla                  Judit Jimenez Sainz                             Andrew Hastings                                Dragomir Milovanovic

Jenny Feng                                            Jenny Cheng                                         Esra Karaca                                          Alexandre Jourdon

Courtney Frederick                             Christoph Zimmer                               Grace Lyall                                           Alexandra Ralevski

Syed Usman Bin Mahmood              Paul Gravel                                           Burak Dura                                           Nicholas Rattray

Zahra Rattray                                      Severin Uebbing

Organization

·         The YPA will be updating our mission statement and bylaws to reflect the new organizational structure and to align ourselves more closely with the mission of Yale University.

o     A meeting is being organized for January to work on this and to update our website. We will be making efforts to make the website more user-friendly and working to develop a ‘Resources’ page that incorporates information from the Postdoc Orientation 201 and other resources.

o     A vote will be held at our next meeting on the new bylaws and the incorporation of an Advocacy subcommittee

·         The use of the YPA’s Google account to generate forms for events was discussed

·         [NEW] Two networking subcommittee chair positions will be open for vote at our next meeting.  Please notify the YPA if you have interest in these positions (ypa at yale.edu)

Communication subcommittee

·         All members of the YPA subcommittees should send their updated bios (no more than 120 words) and a picture to Daniel (jianyu.wu at yale.edu) to incorporate into the website.

·         YPA website had 359 visits from 277 unique users in December (639 visits from 401 unique users in November)

Professional Development subcommittee

·         Postdoc Career Café – will be held again in February and April of 2017. The subcommittee has proposed the following topics: 1. Grants for international postdocs and 2. How to start to find jobs in Biotech. They are beginning to reach out to individuals for these two events.

·         Orientation 201: An Introduction to Resources Available to Postdocs at Yale. Will be held again in March 2017. 80% of individuals who responded to our survey were either satisfied or very satisfied with the first Orientation 201. We discussed whether we should decrease the amount of time given to some of the speakers or have the cores just have tables to try to streamline this event. More discussion will occur in our January meeting.

Networking subcommittee/Upcoming events

·         The YPA Open House and Social at the McDougal Center will be held on January 27th from 6-7:30p. We will collaborate with the McDougal Center to provide food and drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic). We will also have tables set up so people can get more information about various organizations on campus. We need at least 6-8 people to volunteer to help us set-up, clean-up, check people in, monitor food, and serve drinks.

·         Yale Ice Hockey Games (Saturday, January 28 | 7:00 pm Yale vs Brown University/ Saturday, February 18 | 7:00 pm Yale vs Dartmouth University). YPA will be organizing blocks of tickets to see the Yale Men’s Hockey team play. Tickets are $11 each.

·         Uncovering Yale’s treasures with YPA and AYA will be February 24 at 4-5pm.

·         Sandra has spoken to the Yale Children’s Hospital Toy Closet and has connections for postdocs interested in organizing and distributing toys to children in the Yale hospital.

·         Esra proposed advertising concerts at the Yale School of Music to postdocs. We will try to highlight one event per month and encourage postdocs to attend as a group. The first event will be the Faculty Artist Series on January 29th.

·         Last Saturday at the Museum will be January 28 at 12:30pm.

·         Proposed upcoming events: Winter comfort food/hot chocolate party, Skiing/Ice Tubing trip in collaboration with the Office of International Students and Scholars, board game night, and a Winery trip.