[YPA] YPA Summer Cookout and Meeting Minutes

Yale Postdoctoral Association ypa at yale.edu
Wed Jun 21 11:36:05 EDT 2017

Greetings Yale Postdocs,

The YPA will be holding a fun event on Friday that we hope that you can attend (See below)! We also held our monthly meeting last week, and you can find the meeting minutes at the bottom of this e-mail. Let us know if you have any questions or want to get involved!

Join your fellow postdocs at the

YPA Summer Cookout<http://ypa.yale.edu/2017SummerCookout>

Friday June 23rd from 5p-8p
Harkness Memorial Hall Lounge/Patio (Map Here<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.google.com_maps_dir_41.3044061-2C-2D72.9342389_-4041.304328-2C-2D72.9344287-2C20z&d=DwIGaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=jEMEzv3YuhtD66jYlv3rVnwWAY8EjUjkZEnYRuKWVJ4&m=QlsNJFaWDnmypM-IBMJBVh64XsP0pV62ppXugOLX3I0&s=dsy07E0LFFKk_Q5F70jTZbXJOtbeGPtFMmOXBeT3Gps&e= >)
Free Food and Free Drinks!!!
RSVP HERE!<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__goo.gl_forms_Or94qyMp83EiV5ek1&d=DwIGaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=jEMEzv3YuhtD66jYlv3rVnwWAY8EjUjkZEnYRuKWVJ4&m=QlsNJFaWDnmypM-IBMJBVh64XsP0pV62ppXugOLX3I0&s=CpjCKkQu-dkUHbwsBWlKuydIxdGM-d3CCAwAu7mlc4k&e= >
Family and Friends Welcome!!!

Must RSVP and must be 21 years of age with a valid government issued ID to drink alcohol.

Join the YPA and your fellow postdocs for a great time of food, drinks, and fun! We will grill out hamburgers, hotdogs and veggie burgers and will have free alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. If you have any questions, e-mail us at ypa at yale.edu<mailto:ypa at yale.edu>

[cid:image002.png at 01D2EA82.8F7FC850]YPA steering committee |MINUTES

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 | 6 pm | Medical Library L101A

Attendees:
Jenny Feng                              Katherine Hastings                  Grace Lyall                              Esra Karaca
Judit Jimenez Sainz                  Andrew Hastings                    Mahdis Shayan                        Alexandre Jourdon
Christoph Zimmer                   Dragomir Milovanovic            Saman Doroodgar                   Nadia Ayala-Lopez
Alka Puscian                            Daniel Wu                               Yvonne Al-Taie                       Natalia Rinis
Marcel Kuhny                          Burak Dura                              Daniel Trujillo                         Jelena Platisa
Diane Strauss

Organization

·      Presented on remaining budget. ~$554 remaining in budget until June. Discussed June events.

·      Postdoc Buddy program presented by Christoph. Pairs new incoming postdocs with more established postdocs to help make the transition easier. Low and flexible time-commitment. Meeting afterward to discuss logistics. Working with Grace and the OPA to develop further.

·      Yale Teaching in Liberia opportunity was presented

·      New Appointments to the YPA Executive Board:

o    Co-chair: Dragomir Milovanovic

o    Professional Development Subcommittee Coordinators: Burak Dura and Nadia Ayala-Lopez

o    Communications Officer: Zahra Rattray

Communication subcommittee

·         Update on YPA subcommittee member biography submission for website by Daniel

·         Took a updated group picture

·         YPA website had 502 visits from 362 unique users in May (805 visits from 559 users in April)

Advocacy subcommittee

·         Jenny F updated on the Title IX office bystander intervention training plans. They will hold a training session with our executive board soon and continue to develop their program for the broader postdoc community.

·         Discussed the Postdoc town-hall event with the Deputy Dean for Diversity and Inclusion at the Medical School to give an opportunity to hear from the postdoc community about concerns and issues they might have. Potential date in September during National Postdoc Appreciation week (Sept. 18-22).

Professional Development subcommittee

·         Discussions with CTL to create a grant writing workshop for postdocs.

Networking subcommittee/Upcoming events

·         Winery trip to Gouveia Vineyard on June 17th was a success. YPA teamed up with OISS to pay for a bus to travel to the vineyard.  ~50 people attended this event.

·         Postdoc summer cookout/picnic planned for June 23 from 5-8pm at Harkness Memorial Hall Auditorium and Patio (367 Cedar Street).

·         Happy Hour was at Elm City Social on June 16th.  58 people in attendance.

·         A postdoc Volleyball event was June 6 from 6-8pm.  Other potential Postdoc sports activities were discussed for future events (e.g. biking trip, etc.).

·         New idea for a postdoc theatre/acting group – Diane Strauss

·         Last Saturday at the Museum at the Yale Art Gallery on June 24th.