[YPA] *Balancing Professional Aspirations with Mental Well-Being and Spiritual Development*

Yale Postdoctoral Association ypa at yale.edu
Thu Sep 14 19:21:33 EDT 2017

Dear Fellow Postdocs,

We are excited to announce a postdoc-tailored roundtable hosted by the Rivendell Institute at Yale.
Please see below for more details and for the registration (number of places is limited).

Looking forward to a vivid and interesting conversation.

Have a good evening,
Drago

Dragomir Milovanovic
Department of Neuroscience, Yale School of Medicine
Co-Chair, Yale Postdoctoral Association
Format: Round-table discussion, exchange of ideas in a safe and mutually respectful environment.

When? September 27th, 6:30 Pizza & Salad, 7:00 Panel & Discussion

Where? Rivendell Institute, 291 Edwards St, New Haven, CT

Want to register? The number of attendees is limited and the registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. We encourage you to bring your significant other regardless whether s/he is affiliated with Yale. To register send your Name and Department to Alexander.Caulk at yale.edu<mailto:Alexander.Caulk at yale.edu> and in case of company indicate the information of

Panelists

Fred Sigworth, a member of the National Academy of Sciences, studied applied physics at Caltech and was a graduate student at Yale, working in the neuroscience laboratory of Charles F. Stevens. He received the PhD in physiology from Yale in 1979 and was a postdoc in the laboratory of Erwin Neher in Göttingen, Germany where he was a co-developer of patch-clamp techniques for single-channel electrophysiology. He returned to Yale as a faculty member at Yale in 1984. His current research is in the structural biology of ion-channel proteins, making use of novel cryo-EM methods.

Fred is married with three grown sons and continues to navigate work, family, community concerns, and various crises that have come up in his family."How do I see the scientific enterprise? An old book puts it this way: one generation commends God's works to another. It is a great privilege to unravel the workings of ion channels, and to pass on the excitement about these molecular machines to students, colleagues and anyone else who will listen!”

Janet Lydecker, an Associate Research Scientist in Psychiatry at the Yale School of Medicine, as a newer faculty member with fresh perspective of the pressures that postdocs face.

Barry Wu has worked in internal medicine at Yale, and continues to mentor and teach medical residents. One of the deans once commented that Dr. Wu was the perfect medical faculty member saying he was a brilliant diagnostician, so the residents are continually learning from him. But, he added, he also is very patient-centered, showing deep care and concern for his patients, another thing this dean valued in Dr. Wu and hoped residents would emulate him.

Dr. Wu believes it's important to achieve a work-life balance outside of his career. "I think it's important that you recognize that you are not defined by being a doctor, and it's just one part of you as a whole person. Being able to experience life helps you to relate to people better and ultimately makes you a better doctor.” He knows what it is to balance your life as a single person, since he didn’t marry until age 50,  but now has learned different kinds of lessons having become a husband and father to his son, Isaac.

Mary O’Brien is a director of Clinical Training and Clinic Director, Research Scientist/Scholar Psychology, Lecturer Psychology. Dr. O’Brien's main research interests are in the development of therapeutic approaches to prevent psychosis and enhance functioning and protective factors (coping, supportive family environment) among youth at clinical high risk for psychosis. "Recently, colleagues and I completed a randomized clinical trial that found that an intervention that provided 18 sessions of family focused therapy (FFT) and included psycho-education, communication, and problem-solving training was associated with greater reductions in positive symptoms of psychosis and a more supportive family environment than was an intervention that included 3 sessions of family psychoeducation. We are currently conducting a multisite dissemination study in Los Angeles County to evaluate whether therapists at community mental health centers can be trained to provide family focused therapy with high levels of adherence and competence, and whether administration of FFT to a diverse community population is tolerable to families and associated with improvements in symptoms and functioning for youths at high risk for psychosis or experiencing a first episode of psychosis and their families.  In addition, we are studying mechanisms that may account for improved outcomes. I am also quite interested in teaching students how to conduct evidence based assessment and treatment with a variety of patient populations."