[YPNG] YPNG Friday 27 March

sekhar sekhar.tatikonda at yale.edu
Tue Mar 24 10:07:53 EDT 2015

Hi Everyone,

This Friday Jae Oh Woo will talk about:

Title: Rearrangements, Majorization and Their applications

Abstract: In this talk, we suggest discrete analogues of entropy
power inequalities(information inequalities) and show a discrete
entropy power inequality for uniform distributions. Our treatment
is in more general setting as building majorization which immediately
implies information inequalities. We establish majorization based on
rearrangement inequalities over Z or Z/pZ, and strong Spernerity of
some posets. We also show that our information inequalities imply
that the optimal solution of Littlewood-Offord problem can be justified
as a minimizer of entropy of Littlewood-Offord problem. We remark
that our majorization could be used as an application of some stochastic
control problems.  (This is a part of my dissertation and a joint work with
Liyao Wang and Mokshay Madiman.)

See you Friday at 11am in the Stat's classroom.

Regards,
sekhar