[yul-naco] NPM changes

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at yale.edu
Wed Nov 23 12:36:39 EST 2005

Dear NACO catalogers,

I'd like to highlight a few of the changes that I noticed in the 3rd
edition of the NACO Participant's Manual (NPM) that LC issued in August:
<http://www.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/naco/npm3rd.pdf>http://www.loc.gov/catdir/pcc/naco/npm3rd.pdf
. It is linked on the "Authority Control at Yale" site. By the way, if any
of you have copies of the old 2nd edition floating around, please either
throw them away or (if you want to archive them) label them clearly as
being "obsolete".

1. 053 field (p. 22)

The old NPM gave instructions for requesting an 053 from LC; the new NPM
gives the link for the web form for making such proposals and specifies
when catalogers may input an 053 directly (the practice is optional). The
NACO Coordinating Committee also addressed this topic in a little more
detail in its recently issued "Yale Policies for NACO NARs":
http://www.library.yale.edu/cataloging/authorities/names_policy.htm

2. 670 (p. 50-53)

Citations of RLIN searches should now say "RLIN21" rather than RLIN. Do
not, however, correct any existing 670s; these are valid for when they were
created. Example of new practice:

         670 ## RLIN21, 5 Nov. 2005$b(hdg: Smith, R. T. T. ; usage: R.T.T.
Smith)

3. Appendices (p. 96-104)

The first two appendices, on identifying LC bib records in RLIN21 and OCLC
that are candidates for BFM, were simplified. The old NPM also had
appendices on SACO and appendices with examples of RLIN and OCLC authority
records. These were dropped in the new NPM.

Sorry to do this a little belatedly!

-Manon