[yul-naco] reminder not to re-use authority records

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at yale.edu
Wed Apr 4 16:56:07 EDT 2007

Dear NACO catalogers:

This is a reminder that authority records should never be "re-used"!!

Once an authority record has been created for a
specific entity (person, corporate body, etc.)
and contributed to the authority file (at which
point it is assigned a unique LCCN in the 010
field), that record should NEVER be changed to
represent a DIFFERENT entity.  For example, a NAR
for "Smithfield, Martin K." should not be changed
to "Jones, Leo Franck" (unless the person's name has changed).

Catalogers are sometimes tempted to do this when
they discover duplicate authority records for the
same entity (especially if they realize that they
are the one responsible for creating the
duplicate record!). If you discover duplicate
NARs, or discover that you have created a
duplicate NAR, the correct action is to *report
the duplicate records to me so I can ask our LC
liaison to delete one of them.*

Do not attempt to "get rid of" a duplicate record
by updating it and making it look like a NAR for
a new entity. This kind of "re-used" authority
record causes major problems for LC, the
bibliographic utilities, and other libraries'
systems. In many systems, it initiates a global
change to headings in the bibliographic records (which would be inappropriate).

This is very important, so ask me to explain in
person if you're still not sure what I'm talking about!

Thanks for remembering :)

-Manon

Manon Théroux
Authority Control Librarian
Catalog and Metadata Services, SML, 2-8376