[Coll_Collab] Divinity collections featured at Sundance

Martha L Smalley martha.smalley at yale.edu
Wed Feb 7 11:30:31 EST 2007

Nanking, a documentary film about the Nanking Massacre, was recently
rated among the top 20 films at the Sundance Film Festival and
received an award for documentary editing. This film drew heavily on
photos, films, diaries, and correspondence from missionary papers
held at the Yale Divinity Library - after many weeks of the film's
researchers delving through materials in our
collections.  Missionaries made up the majority of the Westerners who
remained in Nanking (Nanjing) during the Japanese occupation and were
instrumental in establishing an international safety zone.  In the
film, Woody Harrelson and Mariel Hemingway play missionaries in a
staged reading. (I'm not making this up!)  The film's web site is at
http://nankingthefilm.com.

Martha Lund Smalley
Special Collections Librarian / Curator of the Day Missions Collection
Yale Divinity School Library
409 Prospect St.  New Haven, CT 06511
Phone 203 432-5289  Fax 203 432-3906
Martha.Smalley at yale.edu