[Coll_Collab] Spring symposium

Martha L Smalley martha.smalley at yale.edu
Thu Feb 22 09:50:17 EST 2007

Please excuse cross-listing.

On May 17th, the Collections Collaborative will be sponsoring a full
day symposium that will serve as the kick-off event for initiative's
efforts toward "mainstreaming collections reference." Especially in
view of Yale's increased emphasis on primary sources in undergraduate
teaching and the increased availability of primary sources in
electronic format, we want to explore ways of integrating special
collections and "regular" reference.

In addition to an outside speaker and a faculty panel, one component
of the symposium will be an "educational" session during which
librarians and curators from across the Yale system will give brief
presentations about primary sources available in their
collections.  Recognizing that everyone's plate is full, we want to
make it as painless as possible for you to prepare a
presentation.  Rather than focusing on a narrow theme, we have
decided to solicit presentations that relate in some way to Yale's
Initiative on Race, Gender and Globalization
(https://research.yale.edu/irgg/index.html).  If you or someone from
your repository or department would be willing to give a 15 minute
presentation on primary sources (original, microfilm, or electronic)
in your collections that would relate to one or more of the courses
listed at https://research.yale.edu/irgg/studies.html could you
please let me know? Once we have a sense of who is willing to
participate, we can provide more definition about how the
presentations might be focused.

Thanking you in advance,
Martha

Martha Lund Smalley
Special Collections Librarian / Curator of the Day Missions Collection
Yale Divinity School Library
409 Prospect St.  New Haven, CT 06511
Phone 203 432-5289  Fax 203 432-3906
Martha.Smalley at yale.edu