Monarchs

Rumohr at aol.com Rumohr at aol.com
Sun Jul 11 09:35:48 EDT 1999

Good morning! I have been very concerned that there have been few Monarchs
spotted in any of the butterfly gardens established by my fellow  ct
butterfly enthusiasts here in Trumbull. I have raised Monarchs for 15 years
and  long for the sight of their soaring orange beauty. Last year I was
raising Monarchs from the many eggs gathered in my yard on June 24th.
	This year my 1st graders and I spotted 2 in the school gardens on
June 18th but I now feel that they must have been the 2 we raised from larva
given us by Randy Korb of Biophilia in Wisconsin. We released them on the
16th.
	I saw 2 on Thursday July 8th in the school gardens,a male and a
female, nectaring on the Buddleia. Hopefully that is a good sign!
	I check my gardens at home for eggs figuring I might have missed the
butterflies feeding while I was out. NONE! My butterfly garden has a
multitude of "butter" plants thanks to the Ct Butterfly Assn plant sales and
Randy Korb frequent trips to Sacred Heart Univ. Though well tended, I find
the incredible heat seems to dry out the blooms rapidly. The common milkweed
and my various asclepias plants are already producing pods after a very short
blooming period. Hope the plants which provide the caterpillars their life
sustenance  will not be harmed also.
	Other butterfliesthathave been spotted in my gardens since June 18th
are:
		7 Great Spangled Fritillaries
		5 Tiger Swallowtails
 		2 Blackswallowtails
		1 Clouded Sulphur
		Numerous Cabbage Whites
	I'll keep looking and counting! Ruthie Mohr  Trumbull Ct

		No Monarchs