Butterfly Sightings

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sat Aug 19 17:36:55 EDT 2000

A total of thirteen species of butterflies were present at Chaffinch Island
Park, Guilford on Saturday, 8/19.  The species list as follows:

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (1), Spicebush Swallowtail (1), Cabbage White (9),
Orange Sulphur (1), White M Hairstreak (2), Gray Hairstreak (1), American Snou
t (2),  Eastern Tailed Blue (2), Hackberry Emperor (1), Monarch (1),
Tawny-edged Skipper (1), Zabulon Skipper (1), Broad-winged Skipper (4)

While the Hackberry Emperor and American Snouts were found in the vicinity of
the hackberry trees, interestingly, most of the other species including the
White M Hairstreaks were found nectaring on the purple flowers (Salt marsh
lavender ??) out in the salt marsh.

On the way home, I stopped at Van Wilgens Nursery in North Branford and found
15 species of butterflies including my first two Fiery Skippers for the year.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford