Migrant Butterfly Influx On Long Island

PONDHAWK at aol.com PONDHAWK at aol.com
Thu May 11 17:24:48 EDT 2000

Don't know if this will translate to the Connecticut coast, but you should
know that we're getting a good showing of migrant species on and near the
Long Island coast. Variegated Fritlillaries were found at Jamaica Bay
Wildlife Refuge May 9 and 11, breaking the record early date for NY. Two
Common Buckeyes were seen around Jamaica Bay May 11, tying the record early
date for NY. Some Red Admirals and Question Marks are coming in, but the real
stars have been American Ladies. I'd say that this is the second best influx
I can recall. I didn't count, but I easily had 60 or more today. No Painted
Ladies, though.

Steve Walter
Bayside, NY