early migrants

Clay Taylor CTaylor at worldnet.att.net
Tue May 16 11:20:08 EDT 2000

Butterfly Watchers -
I just got back from Pt. Pelee in Canada, and Steve Walter's message holds true for Ohio / Southern Ontario, too.  I saw three Variegated Frits plus Buckeyes along with 13 other species in a few hours on the afternoon of the 12th.  I talked with a butterflyer from Ottawa on Sunday morning, and Saturday's sightings included Little Yellow, Fiery Skipper, over 20 Variegateds and a freshly-emerged Common Sootywing.  There were also unprecedented numbers of Juvenal's Duskywings in the park. I also spotted a Monarch at Pelee Wings on Saturday.  Pt. Pelee is at roughly the same latitude as Conn / NYC, so the phenomenon is playing out across a pretty big stage.

Clay Taylor