Guilford leps

bill and Dale droberts03 at snet.net
Fri Apr 27 15:29:08 EDT 2001

In the yard today too many cabbage white to count and:
2 sulfurs
3 American ladies
     It certainly seems to me that we're having big influx of the
"lovely lady" formerly known as the Hunter, a.k.a. the "Painted Beauty",
a.k.a. the "Virginia Lady", currently called the "American Painted Lady"
or just the "American Lady". Vanessa virginiensis.
                                              Bill Y
PS:  Among the group of people that I butterfly with an "IN" joke has
developed about what to call this butterfly. We simply call her
"Elizabeth Taylor".  To me Elizabeth Taylor is the quintessential
American Painted Lady and the small pale yellow spot in the orange cell
of the dorsal forewing reminds me of her "beauty mark". No offence
Elizabeth.