Butterflies at Lockwood Farm.

Lemmon lemmon at snet.net
Thu Dec 6 18:57:35 EST 2001

I stopped by our Lockwood Farm today to check on the Butterfly Garden and
with hopes to see some butterflies as it was so warm.  I did have 3 orange
sulphurs around 11 am.  One of them I chased a bit and tried to capture by
hand as I got within inches of it.  (this will teach me to take my net and
camera out of the trunk of my car at the first cold snap.  I wanted to
photograph the last one I saw as it appeared fresh and had a wonderful olive
wash on the lower under wings.  There was a bright pink border on the upper
edge of the upper wings, the antennae were brown and dark brown outlining
the "clouds" on the underside of the hind wings.  It was a beauty.  I have
never seen this olive green wash before.  It was pretty dark.  Could this be
from cold weather.  I have seen a teneral, iridescent  look to the wings of
Aeshna dragonflies that were migrating on cold mornings.

Have any of you seen what I am talking about.  By the way I missed.  I think
I was trying to be too careful, and not knock off any scales so it would
photograph well.

Carol