Sending photos

Clay Taylor CTaylor at swarovskioptik.com
Thu Jul 5 23:32:28 EDT 2001

All -

    Everybody seems to like seeing photos posted along with messages, with some people asking that the file size be kept small to expedite download time - certainly a reasonable request.  I know that I always love to see photos from Andy Brand, Hank Golet, et al.  I received some very informative comments from my Banded Hairstreak photo.

    John Himmelman raised the point that the practice of posting photos along with field reports may get out of hand, and I think that is a valid concern, but since CTLeps seems to be a fairly level-headed bunch (refer to John's post comparing CTLeps to Leps-L), I think we can agree on some simple guidelines to keep everyone happy.

    How about 1 photograph per person / per day?  Also, what should be the highest allowable file size?  The message I sent about the East Haddam SBC was 67KB in total, while the photo was 41KB.  Is this too big?   Since I am still learning the ins and outs of digital photos / manipulation / transmission, etc., what I do know is that there is a lot I DON'T know.   If anyone has practical tips for keeping file sizes small while retaining resolution / contrast, etc., I would love to hear it.

    A number of people have commented on my photos, and assumed that my digital camera is an expensive one.  Actually, it is a pretty mainstream model Pentax, but I am drawing on 30+ years of 35mm photography experience to help me get some nice results.   I have to admit that I am totally in love with the immediacy of the digital photography world, and I'm definitely going to step up my camera sophistication in the future.  It's gotten to the point where I don't want to take the 35mm out in the field.

    I'm also planning on writing down some of the things that work well for me when chasing butterflies with the digital camera, as well as the disasters that you will never see (I LOVE the Delete button!).   That message might also be a good article for the Conn. Butterfly Assoc. newsletter.

    Since CTLeps is such a good forum for keeping up with current sightings, ID info, etc., I see no reason that we cannot include photos without severely inconveniencing the subscribers.

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT
ctaylor at swarovskioptik.com