2 moths

JH jhimmel at connix.com
Thu Jul 19 08:16:14 EDT 2001

Hi Folks - I got two new interesting additions for my moth yard list last night.  One is the second underwing(catocala) of the season, Catocala grynea, or the Woody Underwing.  A very unique looking catocala with clean gray upperwings and a long dash of orange/brown along the inner margin - not many in this group have orange in the forewings.  The hind wings are a stunning bright yellow/orange, with black bands.  It's a little guy - could sit on an half dollar coin without going over the edges.

The other moth I have seen and photographed before, at the Kobak's in Guilford, but it finally appeared in my yard in Killingworth - a limacodid (Slug Caterpillar Moth) called the Smaller Parasa, or Parasa chloris.  While the adult moth has an attractive patch of grass green on the forewings, it's the "furry" green thorax that would make it stand out in a lineup.  I can't bring to mind too many creatures with green fur.  While it's not true fur, but modified scales, it looks like fur. I could say sloths have green fur, I guess, but that's kind of cheating.

I'm having a serious problem with Baldfaced Hornets and yellowjackets stealing the moths off my sheets.  The Baldfaces pick the wings off before bringing them to the nest, leaving them strewn about the area.  I have to move my set-up.  It's very disconcerting to find the wing remnants of species I would have really liked to have seen whole!

Happy moth'in -

John
John Himmelman
Killingworth, CT USA