field notes-Bauer Park-Madison

BrianRFG at aol.com BrianRFG at aol.com
Wed Jun 6 05:41:08 EDT 2001

Hi,
    Yesterday, at the Union School in Farmington, many 2nd graders and I
walked around the edge of their  ballfield looking for butterflies and
caterpillars. From 11-1 we found a number of Eastern Tiger and Spicebush
Swallowtails, which were the highlights for them, and 19 migrating Red
Admirals, which were the highlight for me. By the way, a female Common
Merganser flew across the school yard and down to the river. I can't imagine
that there are lots of Common Mergansers nesting in the area so I thought I
would pass this along.
    Brian Cassie