euro etc

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Tue Jun 19 15:18:07 EDT 2001

Bill Yule was absolutely right. I typo-ed what should have been Vicia, and it is one of the alien purple species, cracca or some look-alike. The Euros are all over it, but since Lotus (beautiful name for a rather lowly clover) is much more abundant in the fields I visited, they're really swarming on it. It's definitely a localized explosion, because at nearby Sperry Pond, where I've never had more than a half-dozen Euros on the little causeway, there are now 50+.
    I would also echo the comment from MA about overall good butterfly numbers. This morning I drove a couple of woods roads in Naugatuck State Forest and counted 18 Commas scattered along the pavement/dirt.
Greg Hanisek