Gem perfect Red Admrials

Rumohr at aol.com Rumohr at aol.com
Thu Jun 21 08:08:42 EDT 2001

In a message dated 6/19/01 1:37:08 PM, rrmuller at snet.net writes:

<<  I hope every KID out there that has a net and interest in Butterflies
gets one for his or her collection.

 Bob,
Back in the 50's I worked as a camp counselor in charge of  the nature house.
I took kids out with nets to capture, kill and pin "bugs" and butterflies for
our cigar box collections to take back to the city. The more, the better.
Sure we tried to identify them and label them, wasn't I trying to familiarize
these city kids with Nature? Wasn't there a  multitude of butterflies out
there? We wouldn't miss the few we captured, would we? There were plenty
more, after all didn't they lay oodles of eggs? I was young then and didn't
think that the REAL message I was conveying(to kids who might become future
naturalists) was that creatures who belonged in this abundant habitat were
expendable and that it was OK to capture and kill.
    As a teacher  of 30 years and now retired, I have raised(and continue to
raise) and released hundreds of butterflies with children. I travel to
schools giving slide shows about butterflies and do garden club slide
presentations about butterflies and butterfly gardening. I have created a
program called "GROW WITH KIDS" in which I plan and help create schoolyard
butterfly habitats in schools in order to have outdoor classroom space where
children become responsible for maintaining a safe haven for butterflies. The
gardens are habitats where children can see many varieties of butterflies and
moths. They are gardens that adults enjoy on their daily walks and then go
home and try to replicate. What is my message to young and old now?  These
magical creatures are a valued part of our environment and we can do much to
insure that they are still here for our grandchildren and their children. We
do not collect and DO NOT KILL  butterflies as if they were prizes and we
certainly do not send out the message to youngsters that it is OK to kill
creatures for the fun of it.
    When collecting eggs and caterpillars with children, the first thing you
discuss is how to create a habitat in which the creature can be safe, well
fed and content. Then we talk about the responsibility one  has to care for
it so in turn we can observe its growth. The creature is released so it can
go on its way as nature intended. If its purpose in life becomes a meal for a
bird so be it. At least we did not kill it.
    I invite you to my school to see the butterfly gardens, the vegetable and
sunflower garden and our magnificent meadow all created so the creatures you
feel are expendable can live freely and joyfully.
    Just speaking out for those who have no voice in the matter(butterflies
and moths)
            Ruthie Mohr,teacher, schoolyard coordinator and CBA education
chairperson