More E. Haddam leps - my first Balto

JH jhimmel at connix.com
Fri Jun 29 20:21:26 EDT 2001

I also had an small explosion (7-8) of Banded Hairstreaks in my yard (Killingworth) this afternoon.  They were all over the woodland edges.  I found that by standing next to a spot where the sun was filtering through the branches, they would come to me.  Clay's photograph looks very similar to the ones I took today.  As soon as the hairstreak landed, it immediately tilted its wings to the sun.  This made the photography a challenge because you had to get in between the sun and the butterfly to shoot it.  And as soon as that shadow touched it, it was off.

It was very interesting watching them chase each other.  They would spiral around in groups of up to four butterflies and then all alight on their own bright spot on the leaves.  They'd soak up in the sun for about 15 to 30 seconds, and then one would take off again, spurring all the others to repeat the chase.

I think the hairstreaks are among the most interesting for watching.  They do stuff!

Also in the yard today were mating GS Fritillaries (2), a brand spanking new American Lady, and a Little Glassywing.

I should mention that my wife, Betsy, found a fresh Polyphemous Moth in our driveway yesterday afternoon.  She laid eggs last night and I let her go.

John
John Himmelman
Killingworth, CT USA
jhimmel at connix.com