Another Moth Story

Steve Walter SWalter at nyc.rr.com
Mon Mar 19 20:33:07 EST 2001

Just saw 5 moths flying around a street light on the edge of Alley Park,
Queens. Interesting in that I pass this light all the time and usually don't
see much -- and here it is March. After watching in frustration as they
continued to fly about, I saw one finally land in the street and I picked it
up -- a Small Phigalia. Then another Small Phigalia landed on the curb and
spread its wings, allowing me to get some nice photos of it without the
usual drab tree bark background. Things were duller inside the park (because
they were all heading out to street lights?) -- only 2 flying and one on a
tree. Some other steps toward spring (which they say will start tomorrow): a
spider on a tree, one tree with about 6 crickets on it, and a chorus of
Spring Peepers. On Sunday I had a micro moth, a little change of pace from
the dominance of the Small Phigalias so far.

Steve Walter