Red Admirals-general comments

bill and Dale droberts03 at snet.net
Fri May 25 15:56:07 EDT 2001

I've only had one Red Admiral this year in my yard but I've been
following with interest some of the southeastern lep sites reports of
massive movements of Red Admirals. They seems to be moving through the
Delmarva peninsula and Virginia/ Washington area in a
north/northeasterly direction. One report from
VA-MD-DE-Bugs at yahoogroups.com  lists numbers of Red Admirals in excess
of 1000 individuals from a three hour observation at Blue Mountain
Virginia. Has anybody seen unusual numbers of Vanessa atalanta in CT
yet? The Glassberg book reports a large irruption of Admirals in 1990 in
the New York area. Maybe this will be another such year?
     Also there are reports in the same area of large numbers of
Pipevine Swallowtails and Zebra Swallowtails. I suppose we should all be
on the lookout for those strays pretty soon after the weather breaks.
      Anyway I thought some people might be interested in what's
happening to the south of us, especially since it's been raining for the
past 5 days.
                                                     Bill Yule