More Admirals

robert rrmuller at Snet.Net
Tue May 29 17:34:51 EDT 2001

Bill,
Dont believe there is any migrating path that butterflies take, just get out
in a boat on Long Island Sound when there is wind from any & all Southern
directions,
S -SE - SW etc. Take a ride along the coast & no matter where you are you
will see Red Admrials coming across the sound , from Norwalk to New Haven.
I would assume this applies to areas both East & West of the above
locations.

Just an added note there were also a good number of RAs, along the R.I.
coast last
week.

Some even stopped for a rest on the boats.

Just wait until the females coming in drop there eggs  all over CT. & the
next brood emerges, they should be every where in great numbers.

I wish I had some of there larva food plant in my yard at this time, years
ago I planted a bed of nettles but nothing came to them , within 2 years
they were taking over my lower property so I had no choice but to kill it
off.

Females coming in are checking every plant in my yard looking for there food
,
maybe I'll go dig some up & keep it in pots for this year.

Bob Muller