Leonard's Skipper

Clay Taylor CTaylor at swarovskioptik.com
Mon Sep 3 00:06:55 EDT 2001

All -

    To echo Lenny on that point, I have very rarely found Leonard's Skippers in a place where Joe-Pye Weed was not present, although I have seen them nectaring at flowers that were not blue or purple - most notably Goldenrod (Solidago ssp.) and Tall Sunflower (the wild variety).

    More important than the presence of Eupatorium, however, is the overall vegetation pattern of the potential Leonard's Skipper habitat.  A field full of Joe-Pye Weed that is very densely packed with wildflowers and tall grasses seems to be very UNattractive to a Leonard's.  They seem to prefer vegetation that is more spread out, with thin spots and low growth as well as taller plants, creating a mixed bag of plant types.  A perfect example is the lower fields at Barbara Kashanski's property in East Haddam - the northern part of the field has lower grasses and flowers, and is easy to walk through, while the southern part of the field is tall, densely packed, and tough walking.  The southern end had more flowers and attracts more butterflies, but I only find the Leonard's Skippers in the north end of the field.  The same goes for Pleasant Valley in Lyme, and the field (recently mowed) along Rt 66 and Rt 17A in Portland.

Happy Hunting,

Clay Taylor
Moodus