CBA Field Trips

Diane Adams barnacle at portone.com
Fri Apr 5 03:07:54 EST 2002

For those of you who don't receive the CBA newsletter, or who just need
a reminder, here is a current list of upcoming CBA field trips.  For any
newbies (myself included!)--field trips are a GREAT chance to learn to
identify some different species with people who know what they're
talking about, as well as to meet other folks who like butterflies!  You
don't have to be a CBA member to attend field trips (or other CBA
events)--bring friends!  Also, wear comfortable shoes & bring
binoculars!

April 21, 2002 (Sunday) 10 AM
BLUFF HEAD, Guilford
Leader: Bill Yule (203) 457-1326

Possibility of Falcate Orangetip, Spring Azure, and elfins among the
early wildflowers.

Meet at the parking lot in the pines where the trail begins. Directions:
In North Guilford from Rt 80 take Rt 77 north approximately 4 miles to
parking area on left just after Great Hill Rd.

May 11, 2002 (Saturday) 10 AM
WEST ROCK PARK, New Haven
Leader: Larry Gall (203) 454-4612

Look for early butterflies such as Falcate Orangetip, Brown Elfin, and
Juniper Hairstreak.

Directions: Take Rte 15 (Meritt Pkwy) to Interchange 59 (Rtes 63/69)
exits). Go southeast on Rt 63 toward New Haven. Make left on Blake St.,
go quarter mile and make left on Farnam Ave. At end of Farnam, make left
on Wintergreen. Pass cemetery on right, angle left on Wintergreen, come
to stop sign and make right on Springside. Go to next stop sign, make
left back onto  Brookside (Wintergreen). Entrance to park will be on
left, parking lot will be on right just  before passing under Meritt
Pkwy bridge.

May 18, 2002 (Saturday) 9 AM
Moosup Valley Trail, Oneco
Leader: Carol Lemmon (203) 488-7813

Special opportunity to see Frosted Elfin, Henry’s Elfin, and Sleepy
Duskywing

Directions: Meet at commuter lot off I-95 at exit 56 in Branford at 9
AM. Carpool from here.

June 1, 2002 (Saturday), rain date: June 2, Sunday 9 AM
PLEASANT VALLEY, Lyme, and EAST HADDAM HOTSPOTS
Leader: Clay Taylor (860) 873-9078

Hoping for Dusted and Cobweb Skippers and possibly Horace’s, Sleepy, and
Dreamy Duskywings.

Meet at the commuter lot in Old Lyme off I-95. Parking lot is located
across from entrance ramp to the Conn River (I-95) bridge to Old
Saybrook. Traveling east on I-95 take exit 70, go left at end of ramp
and under I-95. Parking lot is on right. Going west take exit 70 and go
straight at end of ramp. Continue to 2nd traffic light (RT 156), turn
left and parking area is on left.

June 22, 2002 (Saturday)  10 AM
Bent-of-the-River, Southbury
Leader: John Himmelman (860) 663-3225

A great place for many species! Not to be missed.

Directions: Take I-84 West, make right off exit 14 ramp. Straight thru
light onto 172 N. Go 1 mile (S. Britain), and turn left onto East Flat
Hill Rd. ( between general store and church) . Once you come to river on
left the drive for BOTR will be on your left (#185). Park in first lot
on right. ( 84 E, left off exit 14 ramp, under highway, straight onto
172N).