Moths at the porchlight and other Guilford stuff

Dale Roberts/Bill Yule droberts03 at SNET.Net
Thu Aug 1 13:12:47 EDT 2002

 Hi all,
           Last night at the porchlight I had a new sphinx moth for the year Hyles gallii, The Galium Sphinx Moth.  It's very similar to the White-lined Sphinx but no white lines on the veins but with a distinctive white mask that wraps around the face over the eyes and across the thorax. It's a real beauty and nectars at Butterfly bush at dusk.  Also during the day yesterday I had the first Haploa clymene of the year, the Tiger moth with the pattern of St. Anthony's cross on the folded wings.  You can see John Himmelman's excellent photos of H. clymene at "Moths in a CT yard"  www.connecticutmoths.com

    As to the butterflies... lots of Spicebush and E.Tiger Swallowtails around and in two spots in Guilford this week (Braemore Preserve and "The Rockpile") I've had Variegated Fritillary.  Peck's and Tawny-edged Skippers are showing up more frequently and still lots of Dun Skippers around. Two Monarchs this week in the yard and Grear Spangled Frits are looking beat up for the most part.
                               Happy lepping'
                                                        Bill Yule