In Search of Underwings

Steve Walter SWalter at nyc.rr.com
Wed Aug 14 21:10:34 EDT 2002

I just completed a cycle of 5 moth outings in 5 counties. One common thread
was in evidence. This should be prime time for underwings, but the results
are quite contrary.

Aug 3, Westchester (James Ramsay Hunt Sanctuary) -- 1 Yellow-banded
Underwing and 1 Obscure Underwing at bait; 2 Girlfriend Underwings at light.

Aug 9, Fairfield (Devil's Den) -- 1 Charming Underwing at bait and 1
probable Ilia Underwing flying off from bait.

Aug 10, Litchfield (Milton, along Shepaug River) -- 1 Ultronia Underwing and
1 Charming Underwing at bait, the latter later at light.

Aug 12, Nassau (Muttontown Preserve) -- 1 Charming Underwing at bait and 1
Girlfriend Underwing at light.

Aug 13, Queens -- 1 Girlfriend Underwing at bait.

The last spot was Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge. I surveyed that site last
year, so I have a basis for comparison. Last year at this time, it abounded
with Little Wifes, Sweethearts and Darling Underwings. None of these have
been recorded yet this year. Is this season turning into a total bust
(although July was not this bad) or can I hold out hope that some things are
just late? That hope is in the fact that I'm still getting rather fresh
looking Girlfriend Underwings, which last year at Jamaica Bay were only seen
from July 9-23.

Steve Walter