monarchs in Mexico

photodharma at juno.com photodharma at juno.com
Tue Feb 12 21:23:18 EST 2002

Hey,
Did you all hear about the nasty storm in Mexico and the devastation to
the Monarch populations? (story in All Things Considered, today).
I have MANY milkweed pods in store for this spring.
I have been trying to get some info about planting them, however.
I e-mailed the Monarch-lab at the U of Minnesota, but no response, as of
yet.
(I e-mailed them only Friday.)
I have been advised to contain them, as they spread like wildfire by the
root.
I am wondering...is this one of those seeds that NEEDS to freeze over the
winter or can I just dry-store them?
I have been keeping them in dry storage, but moved a few to the freezer
just in case, when this thought occured to me.
I also randomly spread a few around the area at the end of summer.  Not
on purpose...at least not admittedly so. ;-)
I'm a Language Arts teacher, so forgive my ignorance.  I was just bitten
by this butterfly fever two years ago and I am learning as much as I can
as quickly as I can.
Any assistance is appreciated.
tony

http://www.PhotoDharma.com