January Butterflies!

Steve Walter SWalter at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jan 29 17:58:05 EST 2002

The unthinkable! Butterflies in the north in January. I had an Orange
Sulphur today at Floyd Bennet Field, Brooklyn (picture attached). I also got
a report of a Cabbage White in Monmouth co., NJ. I'm not sure which is the
more remarkable record. Orange Sulphur lingers longer into the fall, while
Cabbage White comes out earlier in the spring. The question is: are these
late or early butterflies?

I managed 5 species of flowers today. Of course, these are alien types that
spring up on lawns or around vegetable gardens. But they are free growing.
It's January -- I'll take that.

At this point, I couldn't resist putting the black lights up in the back
yard. Within 5 minutes, a Green Cloverworm Moth had appeared. Also, a couple
of little flying things. This might actually be better than the results I
got last April.

Steve Walter