Where are they?

Dale Roberts/Bill Yule droberts03 at SNET.Net
Tue Jul 2 23:22:12 EDT 2002

Linda, Dianne, Monarch watchers.
     I too saw a Monarch today.  Seems like you Monarch watchers are getting itchy to get started exercising your caterpillar parenting instincts? ;>}  Don' forget that it's normal for there to be few Monarchs here this early in the year.  Milkweed is just coming into bloom and it is probably Milkweed nectar that provides the fuel that pulls northward migrating Monarchs into our area by mid July/August.  To me it seems that this is what they do:  Drink the nectar, mate, lay eggs.  Drink, mate, lay.  Right now there still isn't too much to drink. Less than one quarter of my common milkweed plants are in bloom now, none of my butterfly milkweed yet, and only one of my swamp mildweed.  Be patient as Linda suggests, they will be here.

                         Bill Yule----- Original Message -----
  From: Linda and Jeff
  To: ctleps-l at lists.yale.edu
  Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 10:40 PM
  Subject: Re: Where are they?

  I saw my first monarch Sat. 6/29 in Groton. I couldn't tell if it was M or F. My guess is male because I checked milkweed plants in the vicinity and found nothing. I look for monarch eggs several times a week in milkweed patches as I come across them.  I haven't found any eggs.
  I guess we just have to be patient this year.
  Linda