Baltimore

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Tue Jul 9 20:44:37 EDT 2002

I found a population of Baltimores today at Burnt Hill, which is off Route 4 at the W. Hartford-Farmington line, just west and across from a main entrance the Hartford reservoir property.
   This is an interesting butterfly location. There are a couple of large earthen dikes that are covered with grass and forbs. I was there too early for peak butterfly activity but still had 4 Baltimores (near the small pond) and about 10 each C. Wood Nymph and E tailed Blue. Other species present were Cabbage White, both sulfurs, Appalachian Brown, Viceroy and European Skipper. Also one unidentified hairstreak.
   There is one big milkweed patch that was quiet at the early hour but should be good later on a sunny day.
                                                                  Greg Hanisek