A Cold Moth

Steve Walter SWalter at nyc.rr.com
Tue Mar 5 18:43:43 EST 2002

The first spring moths have been emerging and are expected to show
themselves on milder days and nights. Since I imagine that's normal for this
time of year, one would expect that they have strategies to get through the
inevitable cold snaps. I would assume that ducking into crevices would be
the way to go. But today I found a Small Phigalia on a light after a night
that the temperature had gotten down to 20 degrees. Maybe the light provided
the warmth overnight, but the moth was still hanging on. Definitely, a
record for the coldest temperature at which I've seen (what looked like) a
live lep.

Steve Walter