Status of Chlosyne harrisi in CT

David Wagner dwagner at uconnvm.uconn.edu
Tue Mar 12 13:19:33 EST 2002

Dear CT leppers,

It is my guess that we lost the Silvery Checkerspot from the state over the
past decade.  There is a cruel irony here in that the butterfly appears to
have vanished during the tenure of the Connecticut Butterfly Atlas project
whose principal goal was to get a handle on which elements of our fauna are
in greatest need of attention (and protection).

Looking at the map of project records for the Harris Checkerspot this
morning, gave me cause for worry--there are only two or three CT Butterfly
Atlas project records for this butterfly.  Historically it was a widespread
species in the state.

I am hoping we are not losing this beauty too!!!  Perhaps we just didn't
bother to collect and send in vouchers of this handsome beast.  I would love
for anyone (everyone) out there who knows of a viable colony of Harris'
Checkerspot to drop me a line with the following information:

County:
Town:
Exact Locality: (in road miles from nearest town)
(Optional):  GPS or lat and long coordinates
Date of last observance:
Relative abundance of individuals at site:
Other Comments:

A two-minute response would be great.

I'll assemble your reponses and send out a message on CTLeps...

                                            Thanks