Oneco butterfly trip

Lemmon lemmon at snet.net
Wed May 15 21:37:53 EDT 2002

Hi gang.

Jeff Fengler and I will be leading a field trip to Oneco on Saturday if the
weather, which is now not looking very good, cooperates with us.  We will
leave the Branford Commuter lot , on the south side of I-95 at 10 minutes
after 9am sharply.  We will meet again for those who live north and east of
Branford, at exit 88 on 395 around 10:15am.  This is Route 14A.  We will
meet at the end of the exit ramp.  There is a sandy parking area on both the
right and left of the exit at the junction of 14A.  We will meet here around
10:25-10:30.

Directions from this point:

A.  in case someone is late
B.   the trip is canceled due to the rain they are now predicting
C.   if you wish to go at another time

then you turn right at the bottom of the ramp and go 6.3 miles east on route
14A.  Just before you are there, is a cemetery on the right and a one-story
gray building right after the cemetery.  When you go around a sharp curve,
there will be a sign for 14A and a pullover  area on the right hand side.
Park here.  This is the Moosup Valley linear trail state park.  It is a pine
barren with pitch pines and a great deal of white sand.  The lupines bloom
on the hillside to the left and around a wide heavily sandy area off the
trail on the right.  Jeff and I check it out last Friday and only saw three
lupines starting to come into bloom.  We had a cabbage white, a clouded
sulphur and a pearl crescent and a spring azure.  We had Henry's elfin here
4 years ago, and Frosted as well as a couple of dusky wings and Eastern Pine
Elfin.  I haven't been back when the lupines are in bloom since.  .  It has
never been an area for many butterflies since it is mainly pitch pine and
blueberry, but if we can catch is right, we might get some good looks at a
few great, little brown jobs.

My number is 203-488-7813 and my cell phone is 415-2258,  call if you have
questions about the weather.  It is cold and overcast we won't be going.
But they are usually wrong 50% of the time.  Hope to see you Saturday.

Carol