Who's out 5/16/02: Guilford CT

Dale Roberts/Bill Yule droberts03 at SNET.Net
Fri May 17 14:16:51 EDT 2002

Yesterday at the Jared Elliot Preserve wet meadow in Guilford the following were flying:

Question Mark (Polygonia interrogationis umbrosa)- a beautiful fresh, typical dark hind-winged (summer brood form) with violet edging nectaring on a feral Common Barberry.

Both of our migratory Nymphalids-
Vanessa atalanta (Red Admiral)
Vanessa cardii (Painted Lady)
Also our lovely local lady, Vanessa virginiensis (American Painted Lady)

Plus the usual suspects- Juvenal's Duskywing, Orange Sulfur, Clouded Sulfur, Pearl Crescent.

And for you "lepsters formerly known as birders" a Grasshopper Sparrow that looked like it might be interested in nesting out there. Also a Black-crowned Night Heron roost at the far end of the pond on the right.

This spot shows great promise as indicted by my late season posts last year (Asterocampa, Libytheana, etc.) and I encourage you all to visit this Guilford Land Trust Property and see what you can find. Also known as Mullberry Farm.                                                  I also encourage all you CBA folks to join Carol and Jeff tomorrow for the field trip. A great opportunity to spend a day with two of Connecticut's premier naturalists.

                                        Bill Yule