What's flying: Guilford CT 5/22/02

Dale Roberts/Bill Yule droberts03 at SNET.Net
Thu May 23 08:05:32 EDT 2002

    Got out to see what's flying locally and saw -

Common Wood Nymph (Cercyonis pegala) 1st of year
Hobomak Skipper (Poanes hobomak) 1st of year
Common Sootywing (Pholisora catullus) 1st of year.
Wild Indigo Duskywing (Erynnis bapisiae) 1st of year.
    Please note that these are year firsts for me only, others may have been seeing them elsewhere already.

    Also seen-
Tiger Swallowtail- 5
American Painted Lady (Vanessa virginiensis)- 3
Common Ringlet
Peck's Skipper-3
Tawny-edged Skipper-2
Junenal's Duskywing
    Huge number's of both Clouded and Orange sulfurs are flying now in the haylots of North Guilford. The mild winter has been good to them.
    Puzzlers-
         I had a very large Sulfur of some kind in my garden nectaring on Dame's Rocket. It appered to be nearly twice the size of an average Orange Sulfur. I got no field marks (other than to be sure it was not a Swallowtail) and was unable to net it as it flew off to the treetops across the street! I know it's the wrong time of year for Cloudless Sulfur but it was that size. Anyway unidentified large Sulfur.
     Also I had a problem ID with a Tawny-edged skipper that appeared more like its look-alike, a Crossline Skipper, but the flight season seems too early. However with the weather? Anybody out there had Crossline yet?

                         Bill Yule