Eufala Skipper in NY

Steve Walter SWalter at nyc.rr.com
Sat Oct 5 20:30:32 EDT 2002

Today (October 5) I found a Eufala Skipper at Floyd Bennet Field, Brooklyn,
NY. A picture can be seen at http://www.hmana.org/steve/eufala.htm . It's
not a great picture, certainly not the kind I wanted for this historic bug.
But I'm happy I got this one shot off before it bolted. The color of the
Eufala was probably grayer than seen here, but I was in a bad lighting
situation. Enough of the markings can be seen, though.

Also at FBF today
2 Ocola Skippers, several Fiery Skippers, lots of Sachems, lots of Checkered
Whites, and 4 Co. Checkered Skippers.

Things are quite lively too across the bridge on the outer beach. A field at
Riis Park abounded with Checkered Whites and Buckeyes nectaring on asters
and seaside goldenrod. The Monarch numbers on the goldenrod are low compared
to past years. Many day flying moths are on these flowers too, most notably
the sand dune specialty Rubbed Dart.

Steve Walter
Bayside, NY.