Fall sightings and "white" Sulfurs

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Tue Sep 17 12:43:42 EDT 2002

Hi,

Just thought I'd add my comments re the "white" sulfurs.

First, it has been demonstrated that the existence of white females of many
Sulphur species is connected to a wide Mullerian-Batesian mimicry complex,
involving protected species of Parnassians(Papilionidae) and Whites
(Pieridae) which are Mullerian mimcs of each pother, and the white females
of Colias (Pieridae) which are Batesian mimcs of many of these.

In my experience, white females of the Clouded Sulphur (C. philodice) are
usually more frequent than white females of Orange Sulphur (C. eurytheme).
This particular season, over the past few weeks, it seems that there is an
abnormally large frequency of white females of philodice, as I wrote, for
example, in my Collecting Trip Report to northern Coos Co, NH (8/31/02). On
that particular day, in the Canadian Zone of extreme northern NH, perhaps as
many as 50% + of philodice females were white. These can be readily
determined and distinguished in flight from the equally common Cabbage
Butterflies, due to their more rapid, straightforward and less fluttering
flight. Typically the occurrence of white philodice females in the northeast
(Massachusetts) is about 25%, the same in the upper Midwest. Eurytheme white
females in the northeast are more infrequent, perhaps running around 10%.
They are more common, in my experience, in the Upper Midwest. White females
of the two can be difficult to distinguish, but eurytheme females can be
distinguished by heavier body, the longer, pointed FW, the wider black
borders, the greater number of light spots in the borders which are more
squarish, etc. To me, eurytheme also has a somewhat different flight,
quicker, more darting flight; it is also heavier than philodice and this is
noticeable at flowers, in my experience.

It has also been pointed out that the mimetic white females must not be more
common than the non-mimetic yellow females, in order to avoid the education
of predators in the matter, i.e. to avoid having too many eaten and thus
defeat the purpose of the mimicry. Therefore, non-mimetic females are
usually more common than mimetic ones, and the males are also non-mimetic
for the same reason. This is the same case in the Swallowtail species which
are involved in Batesian mimicry: males are not mimics but females are, and
in the case of the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, some females are yellow and
are not mimics and others are black and supposedly are mimcs.

Scott also points out that white eurytheme/philodice females are able to
produce offspring more quickly than yellow ones (which is ana dvantage in
the north), but that the yellow females are more preferred as mates by the
males. This is another element in the  "balancing" between mimetic and
non-mimetic females. He also makes another interesting point when he states
that eurytheme white females are more common in the north than in the south.
I have never seen white female in the southeastern states, but they
frequently occur in the north. I have also white females of eurytheme in
Arizona. White females of the Pink Edged Sulphur are said to occur
regularly, but less commonly than yellow ones; I have to date not seen a
white female of this. For other northern species of Colias, the occurrences
of white females are as follows: Pelidne 25%, palaeno 50%; white females
occur regularly in the Rocky Mountain species as well, as far as I know.

The greenish forms occurring in the spring and fall, vernalis, is produced
by short p[hotoperiod acting on the 3rd and 4th instars of the larval stages
(Scott). The greenish undersides serves to better warm the specimens when it
basks on cool spring days. Regarding subspecies vitabundi of philodice (very
small, 1 inch + wingspan, with very narrow dark borders and very dark
greenish undersides), Norbert has pointed out that this taxon occurs much
further east of its usually described range, occurring across
central/northern Quebec, and I took a specimen very similar to this in my
backyard in Peabody, MA last Dec. 2; I am not claiming that this specimen
should be referred to as vitabundi, only that it resembles it greatly.

I'm sure much could be added to these comments. Also, are the southwest
eurytheme placed in a different subspecies than the eastern ones? They are
in fact quite different.

Alex

CAUTION PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this transmission is
intended to be sent only to the stated recipient of the transmission. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the intended
recipient's agent, you are hereby notified that we do not intend to waive
any privilege that might ordinarily be attached to this communication. Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of the information contained in this
transmission is therefore prohibited. You are further asked to notify us of
any such error in transmission as soon as possible at the telephone
number/email address shown below. Thank you for your cooperation.