monarch traffic

Diane Adams barnacle at portone.com
Tue Sep 17 18:11:30 EDT 2002

Today I saw the most monarchs I've seen all year.

Visiting my mother in Westport, was happy to see 6 monarchs nectaring on
her 10 ft. tall buddleia when we left at 3 PM.

On the way home, traveling north on I-95, after we made it through the
Bridgeport traffic, I started to notice monarchs crossing the highway
(towards the Sound).  We noticed approximately 8 heading through
Bridgeport and Stratford, all crossing I-95 at various heights (probably
15-30 feet).  From Milford through East Haven, we counted an additional
12, but these seemed to be actually traveling southbound along the
highway.  Branford through Madison, we only saw 4, again crossing the
highway.  Finally, 3 in the Westbrook-Old Saybrook area, again along the
highway.  Then we headed north on 9 and didn't see any more (by then it
was 4:45 and getting pretty shady).

They're on the move!

Hope to see them--and you--at the tagging at Hammo Saturday!

Diane Adams
Chester